Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine only rattles when I use remote start. when I start normally it doesn't do it. I have mine to start in quiet mode. When I use remote start it starts in normal mode. I know this because as soon as I press the button when I get in the rattle stops because it switches to quiet mode. when I then switch it into normal mode it starts to rattle again and gets better as I go to sport than Baja. and again stops when I get back to quiet. and also if its warm it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. almost non existent.

Corpsefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like mine has gotten worse. Today a guy was asking me about how I liked my truck in a parking lot and obviously I told him I love it. I remote started when I was leaving and it was so loud. ******* embarrassing

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also rattles on start and when idling.

Sounds like its near the rear. Maybe its in the muffler or resonator itself.

Brody Goble

Reaction score
So…I unplugged the wiring harnesses from both exhaust valves today. Truck started up with no rattles several times throughout the day. The exhaust was stuck in whatever mode it defaults to when the truck is shut off. These valves are more active than I imagined. The truck now sounds like it’s in ”sport” exhaust mode.
Apparently, the exhaust is constantly moving to produce the sounds we hear. I plugged them back in and had a second hand rev the engine, while I watched the exhaust valves, with the expanded metal cage removed. The valves opened every time we raised the RPM’s. They shut when returning to idle….
The rattling must be an unexpected result of a programmed start up procedure...that is the only thing I can think of, as the rattling never happened with the valves unplugged. It happened EVERY TIME with them plugged in.

update next day: tried it again. No more rattling. Truck sounds good and I believe the shudder when stopped in gear has gone away! Going to leave them unplugged until a permanent fix is available!
As blue22raptor had recommended, I unplugged my exhaust actuators and the rattling has completely stopped. The truck is definitely louder at lower rpm and part throttle and a little quieter in the mid and up top. I disconnected when the truck was off and not running. It was turned off with exhaust in normal mode (if that makes any difference).

No warning lights on the dash, if you press the exhaust button it simply says exhaust modes unavailable (only once) then the button doesn’t do anything after that.

I won’t be reconnecting unless it’s fixed by Ford, I no longer need to 2 foot the throttle and brake every time I start the truck around people to make the brutal rattling subside.

DCM

Reaction score
Just to update. Still no fix from Ford as of today. Dealer checked with Ford and got the same answer. Ford is working on it, but have not released the repair. Supposedly I'm on the list for when Ford releases the repair.

SoCalDawg

Reaction score
2022 with 3/16/22 build having this issue. I literally thought one or both mufflers were loose but it goes away in under a minute (50° to 70° here). The fact that it goes away kind of eliminated the loose part to me. Glad I found this thread. A dynamic issue with the valves definitely makes sense. It doesn’t bother me enough to make a trip to dealer. Maybe a fix will be available by my first oil change.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck into the dealership the other day and told them about the rattling (and other concerns) and I was told that it was "normal". To be fair I did drop it off in the morning after about a 30 minute drive. Then the next day I recorded this video after a cold start and then went to the dealership and played it for them. I was told to email the service adviser the video so I did that and sent a link to this thread. My truck is a 6/22 build.

Geeez, mine is not that bad, thats terrible. Did it get worse over time?

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. It just started the last couple of cold days, 1,300 miles. July 2022 build. Its obnoxious. Only seems to happen during initial start and then disappears....

My only concern with unplugging the actuator is that now you have to plug up those connections to ensure that the weather doesn't get into them. For those of us seeing snow in the coming months, having open connectors will spell death for them.

My GT350 doesn't have this issue and it has active valves, so wtf happened?

SoCalDawg

Reaction score
Add me to the list. It just started the last couple of cold days, 1,300 miles. July 2022 build. Its obnoxious. Only seems to happen during initial start and then disappears....

My only concern with unplugging the actuator is that now you have to plug up those connections to ensure that the weather doesn't get into them. For those of us seeing snow in the coming months, having open connectors will spell death for them.

My GT350 doesn't have this issue and it has active valves, so wtf happened?
The ‘quality OCD’ in me doesn’t love it. For sure. But TBH i don’t think it’s THAT big of a deal and can eventually be resolved. I have heard some say it’s the valves and that makes sense but I have also read someone explain that this also ‘burns off’ water in the exhaust system and then expands/seals up a joint on warm up.

I went back and watched several ‘3rd Gen Raptor Cold Start’ videos on YouTube and many of them have the issue and they don’t even know it. One guy did but he seems to be unhappy with many things..

I am personally just going to wait until Ford determines the fix. From what we have seen here and another forum an exhaust replacement doesn’t seem to fully/always resolve it so not worth wasting our time/Ford parts IMO.

After having a fuel pump that wasn’t fully seated in the top of my gas tank (lock ring wasn’t fully clamped down).. this 20-30 second startup issue is smaller beans to me.