Exhaust Rattle leads to replacing a turbo????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ratt

Reaction score
So I’ve had a rattle ive isolated to the rear muffler. It’s internal and sound like a loose baffle. Make an appointment for local dealer to check it out and get a new rear muffler. So I thought....

Get a call later in the day saying that they are gonna need to replace a turbo. I’m pretty shocked at this and need to get more details. So I go to talk face to face.

Explanation - The turbine in the turbo is loose and is creating a vibration that lead to the muffler rattle.

I’m pretty good with mechanics but turbos are new to me. I told them that’s a pretty unique scenario for your heavy line tech to come up with.

Truck has 15k miles and not noticed anything different in performance.

I’m taking it to another dealer to get a 2nd opinion.

Any thoughts on this????

Thanks!!

Glamisfan

Reaction score
Try banging on the muffler with your hand and see if you can hear a rattle in it. That’s how I found a rattle that my wife’s Cadillac had.

A bad turbo shouldn’t sound like a rattle in the muffler. When I crawled under our car and hit the muffler making it rattle, the dealer immediately understood what I was saying.

OP
OP
Big Ratt

Big Ratt

Reaction score
I know it’s 100% in the muffler. They are saying a loose turbine is causing a vibration that made a baffle come loose. They want to replace the turbo 1st and address the muffler if it’s still a problem. Which it will be.

wheelman76

Reaction score
If it's warranty, who cars what they do? Either you get a new turbo and it fixes it or you get the new turbo and then a new exhaust if it's still there. Granted, I understand being without your truck can be a pain... but so long as it's no money out of pocket let them throw what they want at it is what I say.

Glamisfan

Reaction score
I know it’s 100% in the muffler. They are saying a loose turbine is causing a vibration that made a baffle come loose. They want to replace the turbo 1st and address the muffler if it’s still a problem. Which it will be.

That sounds like they just want some warranty money. I’d rather not have them working on the motor, replacing a turbo, if it doesn’t need it.

And it’s more likely that a baffle didn’t get welded then what the dealer is saying.

OP
OP
Big Ratt

Big Ratt

Reaction score
That’s the feeling I am getting. A tech just trying to make work. Pays a lot more to do a turbo over a muffler.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like they just want some warranty money. I’d rather not have them working on the motor, replacing a turbo, if it doesn’t need it.

And it’s more likely that a baffle didn’t get welded then what the dealer is saying.

Replacing a turbo is no big deal. It is 100% external to your motor, so its not like they're opening anything up.

Wastegates have been known to rattle for years. These trucks have electric wastegates as opposed to the vacuum-operated types. Not sure if they rattle more or less, or if they can be replaced separate from the turbo assembly. But of course, they are saying its the turbine.

If you have a failing turbine, you want it replaced. Failing on the exhaust side can plug your cat. But failing on the intake side can ruin your motor.

Personally, if they want to replace a turbo and a muffler, its a great deal!

I think dealers get audited if they have high warranty claims that aren't showing up elsewhere. Most dealers try to avoid warranty work. Additionally, on higher priced items Ford often must send a regional rep to investigate before warranty is allowed. For instance, on my 2017 F-350, one of the power-folding mirrors failed. Apparently, that mirror (which had spotlights / blind-spot / cameras / power-telescope / power fold) was about $1500 cost to replace. Ford sent a rep to try and deny the claim for "impact damage" (which there was none). The mirror was replaced. But the cost of a turbo and a muffler might well warrant a rep to investigate. So I don't think its a case of the dealer just trying to get warranty work. Not to mention, Ford will only pay a set amount for warranty work. If the job takes longer than anticipated, the dealership still has to pay the tech out of their pocket.

Glamisfan

Reaction score
Of coarse if the turbo is defective it needs to be replaced. But I just don’t see how a defective turbo with one or two catalytic converter’s between it and the muffler could make the muffler rattle.

And for me personally, the less somebody else works on my car the better. Just a simple turbo replacement can lead to a scratched Fender, a loose bolt, the intake not been secured properly and coming loose and sucking dirt in the motor. I Just don’t trust other people!

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as guys who dont work on cars, you are all really cracking me up, you must think you are el doctors too.
an out of balance turbine can absolutely cause the issues you are describing, not only that but it can also potentially destroy your trucks engine should the turbine grenade while driving.

back seat diagnosing mechanics crack my shit up, if you dont like what they say or what they tell you then fix it yourself lol.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you describe the sound a little more?

I have something similar I'm trying to narrow down without going to the dealer.

I'm getting it from the front drivers side. Only happens under mid load and around the 2k rpm mark. It does sound like something internal to the exhaust system.

I do have SW downpipes and considering removing them to see if it fixes the problem.