Exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparkee13

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...
I am looking for some info, hoping to get the info I need. I want to upgrade my exhaust, but I have a few questions:
I want to upgrade purely for the sound - I want a louder and deeper 'growl'. I basically want to make my badass truck sound badass! I've been looking for a while, and I am leaning towards the Borla Atak. However, I'm a little leery of buying it based only on sound/video clips I've been able to find online. Ideally, I'd want to hear it in person, to know exactly what it sounds like. Is anybody here in the Central NJ vicinity with a Gen 2 with the Atak that would be willing to meet up with me so I can hear it? Or does anybody have any suggestions how I can find one to hear in person?
My next question is about the warranty - does changing the exhaust have any effect on the factory warranty? I'd hate to install it, only to find out down the road that it voided part or all of my warranty. As it is, the closest Ford dealer to me is terrible, and looks for every possible way to charge the customer, so I really don't want to put myself in that position. (Side note, if anybody knows of a good Ford dealer in the Central NJ vicinity, I'm all ears!!)
Lastly, how complicated / intensive is the installation? I read the installation instructions on Borla's website, and it seems pretty straightforward. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but I'm not really a 'car guy'. I've never really done any work on any of my vehicles beyond brakes, which even that I've only done a couple of times. If possible, I'd like to do the install myself, but I also want to be realistic about it. I don't want to dive into it, and then get stuck somewhere without the knowledge or ability to get out of a jam...
Any feedback is appreciated!

TK85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the atak on mine before. It’s really loud but I had the spd downpipes along with it. The dealers technically can only void the warranty on things if they can prove that one of your mods caused the failure. Last the install was not bad at all. Give yourself a few hours if you don’t have a lift to be on the safe side.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my exhaust, but I have a few questions:

It is a 6 cylinder motor. They will never sound "bad ass". The stock sound is pretty good when you stomp on it, and quiet when you dont. I am a huge fan of the 3.5 twin turbo, but every exhaust i have ever heard on one, just sound "louder" and more annoying, never "better".

My next question is about the warranty - does changing the exhaust have any effect on the factory warranty?

No.

Lastly, how complicated / intensive is the installation?

The basic fact you had to ask this question shows that you should probably let a shop do it for you.

Good luck which ever way you go.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i recently took a borla atak off. $500 picked up in staten island ny, i'll throw in 4 new clamps too.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish mine was louder too but this is the direction every discussion goes. This motor is badass but isn’t gonna sound like it at the tailpipe. Ever.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For a deeper tone IMO we feel the Borla is the best bet. The S isnt overly loud but does deepen the tone and is louder than stock. The ATAK is a good option as well but is very loud. You have the choice to go with just the muffler section of the catback or you can add the tail section with tips if you want to have better looking tips as well!

They can not void your warranty except for the exhaust portion you replaced.

Install of a muffler kit or full catback can easily be done in your driveway with basic hand tools.

Message me for a quote or more info. We offer most brands and offer discounts on it all for the members here

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Corsa is another great option, as is AWE. Lots of options out for the Gen 2's now!

Reaction score
I installed a Corsa Extreme catback on my truck in about a day given I had to drive to a muffler shop to get one of the clamps on the resonator rotated. I don’t have a lift so having that extra momentum and space made it worth the extra $50 to have someone rotate that clamp.

in short, you can definitely do it yourself. Just double check that you have enough clearance for your wrenches in the right spaces around the resonator. If you only swap out the muffler, you’ll have no issues.

The Corsa Extreme is a fun exhaust to have. Very manageable until you open her up.