GEN 2 Excess smoke from exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DozerEO2

Reaction score
Austin-

sounds like you have the same problem I have, any many others. I notice blue smoke (oil) coming from my exhaust after idling for 15-20 minutes. I described the problem to the techs at my local dealership and brought it in. Like in your case, they couldn’t replicate the problem. I bought a 2channel dash cam and was able to catch the smoke screen on cam and showed them. Didn’t seem normal to me. So in the absence of any outwardly obvious defects, the performed what they call an oil consumption test. The do an oil change, mark the dipstick and have you come back after 1500 miles. If the oil has dropped below the “acceptable” level, they investigate further. I think he said any more than a quart was unacceptable. Alas, my consumption was within acceptable levels. It was explained to me that the turbos use a significant amount of oil and when they aren’t being “exercised” the oil tends to pool. When you take off and put your foot in it, the oil gets burned off and since it’s an excessive amount, you get the plumes of blue smoke. I’m not a mechanic and know nothing about turbos but it sounds plausible to me, especially since the truck performs like a beast when it’s called on.
Hope this helps.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2018 does the same thing after idling for a few minutes. It's smoke from burning oil. Combine that w/ the absolute shit sound of the truck on startup, I'm a little less than pleased, actually embarrassed. I check the oil in my Raptor more than I do my '73 914.

I dig my truck...just not happy w/ the response from either of the three dealerships I have given my truck to for service. I can replicate the issue every time just by leaving the truck idling.

How did you determine its “smoke” from “burning oil”? Is it a thick white or blue smoke with a motor oil odor? Have you recorded any oil consumption?

Any GTDI (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection) will sound different than a conventional engine on cold start. The high pressure fuel pump/injectors, turbochargers, wastegates, and cold start strategy all contribute to that. The PCM runs self tests on multiple systems all while trying to light off the catalysts as quickly as possible to meet emissions standards. There is nothing embarrassing about that.

Lou N

Reaction score
Austin-

sounds like you have the same problem I have, any many others. I notice blue smoke (oil) coming from my exhaust after idling for 15-20 minutes. I described the problem to the techs at my local dealership and brought it in. Like in your case, they couldn’t replicate the problem. I bought a 2channel dash cam and was able to catch the smoke screen on cam and showed them. Didn’t seem normal to me. So in the absence of any outwardly obvious defects, the performed what they call an oil consumption test. The do an oil change, mark the dipstick and have you come back after 1500 miles. If the oil has dropped below the “acceptable” level, they investigate further. I think he said any more than a quart was unacceptable. Alas, my consumption was within acceptable levels. It was explained to me that the turbos use a significant amount of oil and when they aren’t being “exercised” the oil tends to pool. When you take off and put your foot in it, the oil gets burned off and since it’s an excessive amount, you get the plumes of blue smoke. I’m not a mechanic and know nothing about turbos but it sounds plausible to me, especially since the truck performs like a beast when it’s called on.
Hope this helps.

Lou N

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ford Raptor I don't have any of those problems sick fast no smoke. I also have a 2013 Subaru STI so I'm familiar with turbo vehicles you should not be getting any blue smoke unless the turbos are worn and on there way out.

everetto

Reaction score
Lately started seeing some smoke upon cold startup from both pipes, it seemed to last 15 seconds or so. I started noticing it a few weeks ago, and initially thought it was steam b/c I was starting it in cold weather (between 9 and 20 degrees). Today I started it in the middle of the day, and the temp was 46. It smoked for at least a minute. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if the smoke is white or blue/white. I have not noticed it smoking going down the road yet, but I will have to start checking for that. The truck is a 2018 and it only has 13,000 miles on it.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Raptor here with 25k miles, built 04/19. Burned 3+ quarts before 6k miles and got a low oil pressure warning when accelerating. Dealership did a synthetic oil change at 6k miles and consumption dropped to a quart or so every 9-10k miles which I’m fine with.

Oil changed last week at dealer, synthetic and it’s still full, of course.

Today, I idled for 35 minutes on a call. Drove less than a mile slow, parked it, an hour or so later started it and drove less than a mile again and idled for 10 minutes and turned it off. Then, leaving the park after 45 min or so (playing with wife and son) my wife was behind me in her ‘13 LX570 and I pull out and accelerate normally. She calls and says she sees blue/blackish type smoke. A stop light and some more smoke when I accelerate away. I turn onto the highway and gun it up to 60 or so and more smoke per her for at least 3-4 seconds that she could see.

Any idea what’s up? I’m surprised this kind of stuff happens with a 2019 Ecoboost. You’d think Ford would have them figured out by now..

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Raptor here with 25k miles, built 04/19. Burned 3+ quarts before 6k miles and got a low oil pressure warning when accelerating. Dealership did a synthetic oil change at 6k miles and consumption dropped to a quart or so every 9-10k miles which I’m fine with.

Oil changed last week at dealer, synthetic and it’s still full, of course.

Today, I idled for 35 minutes on a call. Drove less than a mile slow, parked it, an hour or so later started it and drove less than a mile again and idled for 10 minutes and turned it off. Then, leaving the park after 45 min or so (playing with wife and son) my wife was behind me in her ‘13 LX570 and I pull out and accelerate normally. She calls and says she sees blue/blackish type smoke. A stop light and some more smoke when I accelerate away. I turn onto the highway and gun it up to 60 or so and more smoke per her for at least 3-4 seconds that she could see.

Any idea what’s up? I’m surprised this kind of stuff happens with a 2019 Ecoboost. You’d think Ford would have them figured out by now..

Well, did another test today and idled it for 30 minutes and then swapped trucks with my Dad and followed him driving my Raptor while I drove his new 2020 Sierra Denali 1500 with the new 3.0L Duramax (super nice truck!) Well, it didn't smoke at all when he accelerated away in front of me on numerous accelerations. So, maybe my deal yesterday was a weird anomaly.

Either way, if it keeps burning a quart or less every 9-10k miles between synthetic oil changes, I should be good to go.

Reaction score
I’m having the exact same issues with my 19’ Raptor with 28K miles. I’m almost at the end of the oil consumption monitoring and the Service Tech is telling me that the oil level is fine and they’re not sure if they can fix the blue smoke after long idling. I really do like my Raptor, but the blue smoke is embarrassing. What approach have you taken to have your Raptor fixed?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My gen 1 ecoboost f150 did this, it is "normal" for the engine. If you aren't making or consuming oil don't sweat it!

mike 294

Reaction score
I’m having the exact same issues with my 19’ Raptor with 28K miles. I’m almost at the end of the oil consumption monitoring and the Service Tech is telling me that the oil level is fine and they’re not sure if they can fix the blue smoke after long idling. I really do like my Raptor, but the blue smoke is embarrassing. What approach have you taken to have your Raptor fixed?
I have my 2018 raptor with some problem did you fixed yours ?