GEN 2 Excess smoke from exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin Elkins

Reaction score
Man, this has been a headache.

Few weeks ago, I sat in my truck for about 30 minutes on idle, started to drive away, and noticed I was throwing smoke into the car driving behind me. When I would go to stop at a stop sign, smoke would move forward up to my windows even... I had never had this issue before. Bought the truck brand new in September 2018. 2018 Gen 2 with 18,500 miles.

I have been dealing with this now for a few weeks trying to decide if this is something I should be worried about or not. I have searched forums to find an answer, and it got me thinking that it could potentially be a leaking issue with turbo seals, with others having similar problems after idling. I dropped my truck off at the local Ford dealership, and after a week, they finally got back to me... “weren’t able to duplicate problem”, so I went in and tried to do it myself in front of them. I got some smoke, but they said it didn’t look too excessive and looks like water vapor because there isn’t any actual odor in the smoke.

I have spoken with the tech who worked on my truck, and he said he checked the externals of the turbos for leaks and didn't see any. I sent him a video at night with a better view of the smoke and he said it did seem a bit excessive, but if anything, he thinks it could be the valve covers. I asked if I could bring it in again to get it checked, but he said the only thing we can do to test valve covers is to monitor oil loss over 1-2 months to see if its rapidly decreasing, meaning it would be the valve covers.

I took this video tonight to get some input on this forum. For measure, I’m in Pensacola, Florida, where its about 45 degrees right now, so I don’t know if that plays a huge roll in vapor or smoke, but the day that I noticed all that smoke after idling, it was closer to 80 degrees.

I appreciate your help. Let me know what you think or if this is normal. Thanks.

View media item 14589

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That looks more like vapor and not smoke. I have vapors from my exhaust when first starting some mornings, depends on the humidity at the time of morning. As for smoke when you are driving, were you able to see if it has a colour to it, white smoke could be a coolant leak into the exhaust, blueish tends to be some oil blowing through the turbos. Depending on how bad it is and if it goes away would be my concern. Every turbo vehicle I have has some smoke/ vapor at start up then will go away as the engine and exhaust reach operating temp. Considering the humidity in FL is similar to where I am (Houston) this makes me think it is water vapor.

There has been a thread in the past where someone had a turbo seal failure where he had smoke pouring out his exhaust. That can happen on turbos but isn't very common.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bhollier. If there is no odor to it, it’s vapor and probably normal. Does it smell like burning oil or coolant?

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
Man, this has been a headache.

Few weeks ago, I sat in my truck for about 30 minutes on idle, started to drive away, and noticed I was throwing smoke into the car driving behind me. When I would go to stop at a stop sign, smoke would move forward up to my windows even... I had never had this issue before. Bought the truck brand new in September 2018. 2018 Gen 2 with 18,500 miles.

I have been dealing with this now for a few weeks trying to decide if this is something I should be worried about or not. I have searched forums to find an answer, and it got me thinking that it could potentially be a leaking issue with turbo seals, with others having similar problems after idling. I dropped my truck off at the local Ford dealership, and after a week, they finally got back to me... “weren’t able to duplicate problem”, so I went in and tried to do it myself in front of them. I got some smoke, but they said it didn’t look too excessive and looks like water vapor because there isn’t any actual odor in the smoke.

I have spoken with the tech who worked on my truck, and he said he checked the externals of the turbos for leaks and didn't see any. I sent him a video at night with a better view of the smoke and he said it did seem a bit excessive, but if anything, he thinks it could be the valve covers. I asked if I could bring it in again to get it checked, but he said the only thing we can do to test valve covers is to monitor oil loss over 1-2 months to see if its rapidly decreasing, meaning it would be the valve covers.

I took this video tonight to get some input on this forum. For measure, I’m in Pensacola, Florida, where its about 45 degrees right now, so I don’t know if that plays a huge roll in vapor or smoke, but the day that I noticed all that smoke after idling, it was closer to 80 degrees.

I appreciate your help. Let me know what you think or if this is normal. Thanks.

View media item 14589

I believe it's not steam but smoke. Steam wouldn't float up all the way above the truck and continue towards the front until there's no light to see it

Steam would evaporate in seconds, is whitish in color.

Oil smoke is bluish in color and doesn't dissipate... it just spreads out until you can't see it anymore and would have an oil smell.

If it's black smoke, you have fuel issues but it's not black in your video.

If you smell a distinct oil odor, then you have an oil burning issue.

If it's a leak in the water jacket, you'll just get a lot of white bluish billowy steam-smoke, mostly steamish.

If you had taken this video a month ago, was the output at that time like it is in the video? If no, then you seem to have developed an issue which is premature according to your specs.

Take a video during the day and follow the output of the mufflers. Determine if it dissipates ****** or lingers on and floats away. Let's see what that reveals.

Last edited:

ADY

Reaction score
I had to add nearly 1.75 quarts between oil changes on my 2018. Brought it to Ford for my oil change and they measured the amount of oil they put in and told me to come back after 3,000 miles. The service rep said if it consume more than 1 quart/3,000 miles they'll fix it under warranty.

caseyv2k

Reaction score
My 2018 does the same thing after idling for a few minutes. It's smoke from burning oil. Combine that w/ the absolute shit sound of the truck on startup, I'm a little less than pleased, actually embarrassed. I check the oil in my Raptor more than I do my '73 914.

I dig my truck...just not happy w/ the response from either of the three dealerships I have given my truck to for service. I can replicate the issue every time just by leaving the truck idling.