GEN 2 Excess smoke from exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Attackpilot

Reaction score
someone tell me how smoke coming out of a truck that’s 3 years old with low miles is normal?

Mcmanly

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me for the first time today. I drove about 800 miles roundtrip in incredibly hot 108 degree weather and the truck ran perfectly smooth, no smoke, nothing.
The next day, I gave the truck a break and didn't drive it.
Today I head out with my son on our almost nightly little cruise around the valley, and leaving the house I noticed a huge cloud of what appeared to me to be white smoke.
I turned back around after about a mile and it dissipated but smelled unlike anything I've ever smelled coming out of a car. It didn't smell like coolant or burning oil but there was a ton of fluid in each pipe.
I checked the oil to see if it was milky from leaking coolant just to be safe, but it was clean, having just been serviced at the dealer.
I idled it and not much came out of the pipe but it still didn't smell right.
No clue what it is.

Mcmanly

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just happened to me for the first time today. I drove about 800 miles roundtrip in incredibly hot 108 degree weather and the truck ran perfectly smooth, no smoke, nothing.
The next day, I gave the truck a break and didn't drive it.
Today I head out with my son on our almost nightly little cruise around the valley, and leaving the house I noticed a huge cloud of what appeared to me to be white smoke.
I turned back around after about a mile and it dissipated but smelled unlike anything I've ever smelled coming out of a car. It didn't smell like coolant or burning oil but there was a ton of fluid in each pipe.
I checked the oil to see if it was milky from leaking coolant just to be safe, but it was clean, having just been serviced at the dealer.
I idled it and not much came out of the pipe but it still didn't smell right.
No clue what it is.
I found the solution on another thread and remembered that earlier today I was installing a builtright dash mount in the hot sun and idled the truck for 20 minutes. Seems like a very common issue, whew! Coolant and oil were fine and the telltale condensation in the pipes.

D Gerber

Reaction score
Man, this has been a headache.

Few weeks ago, I sat in my truck for about 30 minutes on idle, started to drive away, and noticed I was throwing smoke into the car driving behind me. When I would go to stop at a stop sign, smoke would move forward up to my windows even... I had never had this issue before. Bought the truck brand new in September 2018. 2018 Gen 2 with 18,500 miles.

I have been dealing with this now for a few weeks trying to decide if this is something I should be worried about or not. I have searched forums to find an answer, and it got me thinking that it could potentially be a leaking issue with turbo seals, with others having similar problems after idling. I dropped my truck off at the local Ford dealership, and after a week, they finally got back to me... “weren’t able to duplicate problem”, so I went in and tried to do it myself in front of them. I got some smoke, but they said it didn’t look too excessive and looks like water vapor because there isn’t any actual odor in the smoke.

I have spoken with the tech who worked on my truck, and he said he checked the externals of the turbos for leaks and didn't see any. I sent him a video at night with a better view of the smoke and he said it did seem a bit excessive, but if anything, he thinks it could be the valve covers. I asked if I could bring it in again to get it checked, but he said the only thing we can do to test valve covers is to monitor oil loss over 1-2 months to see if its rapidly decreasing, meaning it would be the valve covers.

I took this video tonight to get some input on this forum. For measure, I’m in Pensacola, Florida, where its about 45 degrees right now, so I don’t know if that plays a huge roll in vapor or smoke, but the day that I noticed all that smoke after idling, it was closer to 80 degrees.

I appreciate your help. Let me know what you think or if this is normal. Thanks.

View media item 14589
I have that same thing happening with mine, I have it at the dealer now and they say is valve covers. I live in Orange County California and we don’t have vapors come out of exhaust around hear.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 2018. I'd idle in park for 30 minutes or more and then when I'd take off down the road...smokescreen for good bit and then it would finally dissipate. In my case, it was not the valve covers. I had one replaced due to oil consumption and the smoking continued. The consensus from reading threads on the interweb was a bad turbo seal. Took it to the dealer and they claimed they could not replicate it (shocking). Of course, I could replicate it the very next time I had let it idle. Traded it in and now it is someone else's problem.