Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some of you had touched on the subject on the other forum. I was interested and studied it a little when the blockade went up. Of course I can’t go on the other forum to make any conclusions since my IP address or something has been blocked by hE SAD.

170.jpg177.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvNlcyjS_w
https://shop.quicktimeperformance.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=74

So, if ya’ll don’t object, I would like to bring this one to the table here and see if I got it strait:

1) As long as they’re installed behind the converter, there are no ill effects
2) You have to have a momentary 2/position switch for the system to function.
3) There are minimal, if any, performance advantages to having a cutout on late model vehicles.
4) They sound BAD AS HELL on a Raptor.

Thats all I got. I would like to put them on my truck if it doesn't kill it... After all: "LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES"

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are several California Raptor owners who have this installed in their trucks. SVTCali (has anyone heard from him lately?) up north and Morse147 here in SoCal.

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several California Raptor owners who have this installed in their trucks. SVTCali (has anyone heard from him lately?) up north and Kinkrider here in SoCal.

So whats the scoop? Are they damaging, advantageous or, my personal favorite, just loud?:thumbsup:
Inquiring mind wants to know..

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had these on my Magnum for some time (DMH makes them, other's resell them)
1) As long as they’re installed behind the converter, there are no ill effects
In terms of vehicle operation, not that I'm aware of. Except, of course, you're going to want to make sure above the exhaust outlet is protected somehow (heat shield? far enough away from the body?) Hot exhaust gases dumping close up under there will scar the surface, or worse.

Also, check your state's laws... in California they'll fail you immediately during a smog.

2) You have to have a momentary 2/position switch for the system to function.
Correct. Doesn't the kit come with the correct switch?

3) There are minimal, if any, performance advantages to having a cutout on late model vehicles.
None to my knowledge. Although to be sure, back to back dyno runs (open and closed) is in order.

4) They sound BAD AS HELL on a Raptor.
From the outside, they do. From the inside... lets just say I hope you don't have any fillings in your teeth you want to keep. :mrgreen: Also, keep in mind that they'll rattle EVERYTHING. Over time, I have to believe that the interior fit and finish will suffer because of them.

Something else... I'm on my fourth set. Over time, the valves wear and won't stay shut. So when "closed", they flutter, and sound like loose change is rattling around all under the car. Not fun. I've had them replaced under warranty 3 times, and now the 4th set is done for too. I'm giving up, and am just going to cap the holes and be done with it.

Now having said that, I have no idea if the Raptor will have the same issue. My Magnum is pushing some serious exhaust thanks to the 392ci up front, but then again, I'm running two cutouts (one per side). So in theory, thats only 196ci of exhaust each cutout is responsible for. I believe the Raptor install calls for a single cutout, meaning its responsible for holding back 330ci of exhaust. Logic tells me its going to fail just as mine has. Maybe even more quickly.

Hope that food for thought helps. Happy to answer any more questions I can.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one of those mods I'll enjoy vicariously.

My "modified" exhaust sounds bitchen enough and it's "only" a 5.4 motor :mrgreen:

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Outcast, This is my video that you a referring to and all your points seem to be correct. I have had my exhaust cut out installed on my raptor for about 8,000 miles so far and have had no problems with it and actually leave it open almost always.. Only time I really shut it is at a drive thru when the person can't hear me ordering or when I'm dropping a girl off at home late and don't want to wake up the whole neighborhood... haha.. its really not that loud to me from inside the truck.

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Outcast, This is my video that you a referring to and all your points seem to be correct. I have had my exhaust cut out installed on my raptor for about 8,000 miles so far and have had no problems with it and actually leave it open almost always.. Only time I really shut it is at a drive thru when the person can't hear me ordering or when I'm dropping a girl off at home late and don't want to wake up the whole neighborhood... haha.. its really not that loud to me from inside the truck.

COOL! and THANKS, That rockerswitch in the video is not the one that comes with the kit is it? I'm probably going to mimic the way yours is set up and that switch didn't look like the one they provided with the kit.

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COOL! and THANKS, That rockerswitch in the video is not the one that comes with the kit is it? I'm probably going to mimic the way yours is set up and that switch didn't look like the one they provided with the kit.

ya.. it's a different switch that my buddies shop had laying around.. The switch we used and place we picked to put it is really easy to find with your fingers without looking.. plus its nicely hidden behind the switch box. I can ask him what kind of switch that was but one like it should be pretty easy to find.

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya.. it's a different switch that my buddies shop had laying around.. The switch we used and place we picked to put it is really easy to find with your fingers without looking.. plus its nicely hidden behind the switch box. I can ask him what kind of switch that was but one like it should be pretty easy to find.

Thanks!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard both SVTCALI's and Kinkrider's cutouts from outside the truck... They were both quieter than I expected... Not nearly as loud as I thought they would be.

(no personal experience... but I have heard the "rattles when closed" complaint before from others with higher mileages on the cutouts... I would think the manufacturers are probably addressing the issue and hopefully improving their products)