GEN 1 Exhaust Manifold Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnmlvince

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2012 Raptor as a fun second car. It’s high mileage (150K) and I’m mostly focused on replacing all the fluids and general preventative maintenance rather than heavily modding the car.

I brought it to a shop to do fluid changes and they mentioned both exhaust manifolds are rusted/leaking. The car isn’t noticeably that much louder (but I don’t know what it was like before I got it - it’s just not that loud).

They quoted $2700 to replace them as they said they need to pull the motor. I can live with the sound and get it through inspection, but I’m questioning the safety aspect not knowing what gasses are getting into the cabin.

This shop won’t fix them through welding, but I’m thinking that might be a better solution? I could potentially do headers but I don’t want the truck to be significantly louder - seems like I’d need to do other exhaust components as well if I did that. Should I try to have them welded? Replace headers? Just suck up the cost and replace the manifolds?

Appreciate any advice!

OP
OP
M

mnmlvince

Reaction score
Not at all, and It doesn’t bother me. Just don’t want any gas leaks into cabin. Will get a second opinion.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
They say rusted and leaking but where is it leaking? Did they say they were cracked? Manifolds will be rusted, and more likely a leak would be from the manifold gaskets. Get the second opinion and if confirmed there is a leak on both manifold (strange it would be both) you might consider headers.

OP
OP
M

mnmlvince

Reaction score
after picking up the truck from the shop, they mentioned they don’t know where it’s leaking from but suspected a gasket. The truck is loud enough and I worry headers with an otherwise stock exhaust will sound bad. I have noticed a small tick from the right side of the car under regular acceleration at low speeds, but not very noticeable. I bought a carbon monoxide monitor where the battery lasts 8 months, so I’ll roll around with that to play it safe for a bit. Regardless of headers or gasket/manifold replacement, it’s seems like I’m in for $2k+ with the labor involved. I’ve spent about $1600 servicing the AC and changing all the fluids with the exception of the transmission and transfer case- so id like to do those things and let it ride for a bit. Would short headers and stock exhaust sound really loud or otherwise terrible?

The corsa extreme seems like the most mild exhaust I’ve heard, and could do that in addition but don’t really care about the small HP gain or loud sound so don’t want to waste the money if the car is otherwise ok.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert here, but I heard ticking from my 2014 and it turned out to be the coil packs arcing to the block.

Might want to check that before you go too much further. To see it I had to run the engine at night. You could clearly see blue arcs from the rear two coil packs on the right bank.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 11 has a manifold stud broken and when cold you can hear it pffftt pffftt pffftt till the manifold heats up and expands.
I hate it, but job to change them, drill out the broken stud is a HUGE PITA!.
The stock 6.2 manifolds are cheap, but you have 10 hours labor to get them out..lol

It would be easier to pull the engine, but if I'm doing that, she's getting freshened up..

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 11 has a manifold stud broken and when cold you can hear it pffftt pffftt pffftt till the manifold heats up and expands.
I hate it, but job to change them, drill out the broken stud is a HUGE PITA!.
The stock 6.2 manifolds are cheap, but you have 10 hours labor to get them out..lol

It would be easier to pull the engine, but if I'm doing that, she's getting freshened up..
after you do yours, you will have become a seasoned pro. do mine next. my drivers side rear stud is broken. along with both bolts coming off the headers going to the down pipe. it smeels like exhaust in my truck, but i just drive with the windows down