Drone free, really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

perry

Reaction score
Ditto on what KOBRA2848 said. Corsa Extreme, I.e. no resonator. No drone. Sharp brap on cold start, quiet when you want it to be quiet, nothing but blower wine and good sounds when you want it loud. Beautiful stainless, quality product.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'll start watching for deals on a Corsa!
corsa for the win, Volant if you want the cheaper alternative. Corsa owns Volant and you will be getting the same zero drone/awesome sound. I have the Volant and so do many other members. There is a huge thread on here with info if you search…youtube for some sound clips

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The previous owner of my truck installed a Borla s-type exhaust. It sounds great at idle and at WOT, and after removing the CAI it helped to reduce some of the interior noise. However, I still notice a very pronounced drone between 1,500 - 2,000rpm. If I'm driving up a hill or the engine is under load within that rev range there's a pretty good drone in the cab. With this 6 speed transmission highway cruising is typically above the drone zone so that hasn't been a problem, but if I'm on a two lane going anywhere between 90-110km/h (55-68mph) I'm stuck in that droning range unless I drop down a gear to get above 2,000rpm.

I don't know if the previous owner installed the exhaust shortly after he bought the truck (7 years ago) or if it was only installed in the last couple of years. But there aren't any loose connections or leaks and no obvious rattles or anything that would suggest the system has any muffler related issues.

Questions:

(1) Does anyone else with a Borla exhaust notice a drone in that rev range?

(2) Almost every exhaust manufacturer says they have "no drone". For those of you with a Corsa or Dirty Deeds exhaust - do you really never have any droning in the cab at any rpm level? Or do you notice something similar to what I've described between 1,500-2,000rpm?

I had a Borla s-type on my previous F150 with the 5.0 Coyote and didn't have the same issue. I'm not sure if it's just the difference in the 6.2 vs. 5.0 or if the muffler needs to be refreshed or if it's just the design of this exhaust with this truck and I should try something else. I don't want to fork out $$ for a Corsa only to find out I still have the same issue.

As a long time user of the Borla S-Type exhaust system my opinion is naturally biased. There is a simple solution and it resides within reach of the driver and no modifications needed. The little button on the shifter, Tow/Haul *** is your friend, in town and on two lane highways is where I use it the most. I get better gas mileage in town driving using it and the truck is more responsive. My setup has the factory resonator in place and the factory intake system at the present time with very little drone. Depending on how your truck is setup or moded will affect drone on all exhaust systems and driving style affects this as much as anything. There are times when I like the exhaust more robust than others and the Borla has been right for me.

OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
I have the factory resonator in place, but my truck came with an AFE CAI when I bought it, and that didn't help. I purchased an OEM intake that improved the sound, but still not ideal. I have been down shifting from 6th to 5th to keep the rpm's above the 2k mark as the best solution.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 is a Roush Stage II and had a really loud exhaust so for the first time in my 72 years I installed a QUIETER exhaust. Went with the Ford Racing made by Borla. It has a resonator and dual mufflers, fit like a glove and NO drone! Loud when you jump on it and quiet on the road. Dual chrome tips exit behind the right rear tire. Very happy with it.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A simple J-Pipe (Helmholtz Resonator) can be made to cancel drone at whatever offending RPM you need. Made a post about it with details a while back.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corsa may not drone, but I can't stand the sound of anything I've ever heard them on. It always sounds like a boat with thru-hull exhaust, burbling underwater sound. Sounds a lot like a Magnaflow, but worse.

If ya want drone free and something that still sounds rowdy, get the Dirty Deeds setup with the Hemholtz resonator.