Drone free, really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
The previous owner of my truck installed a Borla s-type exhaust. It sounds great at idle and at WOT, and after removing the CAI it helped to reduce some of the interior noise. However, I still notice a very pronounced drone between 1,500 - 2,000rpm. If I'm driving up a hill or the engine is under load within that rev range there's a pretty good drone in the cab. With this 6 speed transmission highway cruising is typically above the drone zone so that hasn't been a problem, but if I'm on a two lane going anywhere between 90-110km/h (55-68mph) I'm stuck in that droning range unless I drop down a gear to get above 2,000rpm.

I don't know if the previous owner installed the exhaust shortly after he bought the truck (7 years ago) or if it was only installed in the last couple of years. But there aren't any loose connections or leaks and no obvious rattles or anything that would suggest the system has any muffler related issues.

Questions:

(1) Does anyone else with a Borla exhaust notice a drone in that rev range?

(2) Almost every exhaust manufacturer says they have "no drone". For those of you with a Corsa or Dirty Deeds exhaust - do you really never have any droning in the cab at any rpm level? Or do you notice something similar to what I've described between 1,500-2,000rpm?

I had a Borla s-type on my previous F150 with the 5.0 Coyote and didn't have the same issue. I'm not sure if it's just the difference in the 6.2 vs. 5.0 or if the muffler needs to be refreshed or if it's just the design of this exhaust with this truck and I should try something else. I don't want to fork out $$ for a Corsa only to find out I still have the same issue.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roush exhaust with a conical K&N to feed the DS-1. Drone and S/C whine all day. Seems to be done-iest (yes, thats a technical term) at about 1800, kind of like old skool 40 series flowbasterds on a foxbody. Your range of 1500-200 is about right

OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know. I'm assuming there will be some moderate or mild drone at best for all systems in that zone....just trying to figure out if my Borla is as good as I'm likely going to find, or if something else is truly drone free while still being aggressive at start up and wot.

roush_14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck it had the roush exhaust with no resonator. To me, (everyone has own opinions) it was to loud and droned. The first thing i did was put magnaflow straight through muffler on it quieted it down a bit but still had same drone. I then put oem resonator on and to me its just right, quiet inside no drone to really speak of, sounds good outside. It has a good bark when you first start but once it idles down its much quieter.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Extreme with the black tips and have absolutely no drone. It is the perfect sounding exhaust for the gen 1 with the only negative being the price. I purchased mine when they were offering a rebate and the vendor had a promo code so I ending up paying a little over $900.

Mark

BB427

Reaction score
When I bought my truck it had the roush exhaust with no resonator. To me, (everyone has own opinions) it was to loud and droned. The first thing i did was put magnaflow straight through muffler on it quieted it down a bit but still had same drone. I then put oem resonator on and to me its just right, quiet inside no drone to really speak of, sounds good outside. It has a good bark when you first start but once it idles down its much quieter.

BB427

Reaction score
Hey, same issue with my Roush system. I still have my OE resonator that I can splice in, too. Where is it most effective, in front of the muffler or behind it?