Driving on the beach? Yes/No

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at booking a vacation home, and one of them is a 3 mile drive down the beach in Corolla NC. My concern is getting salt on the undercarriage and making more surface rust. What do you guys think? Should I do it, or is the risk greater than the reward lol. I *should* have my truck by summer :).

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at booking a vacation home, and one of them is a 3 mile drive down the beach in Corolla NC. My concern is getting salt on the undercarriage and making more surface rust. What do you guys think? Should I do it, or is the risk greater than the reward lol. I *should* have my truck by summer :).

Should be good...run it through a wash or have it detailed with underbody spray. You can drive on the beach in NC, get the permit and have fun. Air down the tires though

oswiff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done it with my Gen 1 and my Gen 2 and will do it with the gen 3. Never had any issues with the undercarriage or more surface rust.
Perhaps if you lived close to an ocean year-round you may see some issues.

If you are really concerned and if you have a pressure washer, get this or something similar and spray down the undercarriage when you're done.

You can also buy this from a well respected detailer - https://ammonyc.com/collections/exterior/products/boost-anti-salt

Just remember to air down the tires.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

but it might get dirty.....oh nos

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it.. we took our Mercedes GLE up to Corova last year to a house we rented. NO issues. I wanted to take the Gen 2, but traded it just before we left. My Gen 3 will be going there this year!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how it is in NC, but in Texas, you do have to worry about the occasional tar on the beach. That stuff is a pain to get off. Don't think it's really a big concern as far as performance goes, but if you do want to bring it back to clean, it's not fun.