Does installing perch collars require headlight height adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had 1.5” perch collars installed like 2 weeks ago and feel like my headlights are aimed high now, blinding (pissing off) other drivers. I’ve had people constantly flashing me from opposite traffic and anyone driving in front of me seems to move over pissed off, sometimes pulling behind me and turning their high beams on.

I’m assuming people feel like I’m driving around with my high beams on.

Is it known that you have to adjust your headlight aiming after a lift / level kit?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, you have the Texas headlights now.

Yes, please get them aimed correctly. It’s annoying AF when the oncoming has the badly aimed headlights or some cheap light bar blaring into your face.

You’ve probably seen an iteration of this before when someone hauling way too much cargo in the bed is coming at you but their lights are squarely in your face. Only your truck is probably worse.

At least get them closer to stock and the high beaming will stop.

BryBurger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if OP was being sarcastic. ;) Or perhaps new to the truck game but either way... always adjust your headlights when changing the height of a vehicle. It is also highly recommended to recalibrate your speedometer for larger tires or your speedometer will show you going slower, as well as the MPG calibration will be off and tranny shifts will not be as effective.

OP
OP
MookeyB37

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so haven’t taken a look at the headlights yet… what’s the best way to aim them correctly?

I’ve done it in the past years ago wish a car and it was something like park 20 feet from a wall on flat ground and measure 4’ up the wall and that’s where the center of the low beam should but…. Or some process like that.

Anyone have the correct way to do this on these trucks?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so haven’t taken a look at the headlights yet… what’s the best way to aim them correctly?

I’ve done it in the past years ago wish a car and it was something like park 20 feet from a wall on flat ground and measure 4’ up the wall and that’s where the center of the low beam should but…. Or some process like that.

Anyone have the correct way to do this on these trucks?

It is the same for cars and trucks, but my understanding is that the height on the wall should be a couple inches below the center line of your headlights. In other words, if your headlights are 40 inches high, for example, then the height on the wall should be 38 (or is it 36?). The point is though that the height of your beam is relative to your headlight.

Two things confuse me about this rule. One is that if you raise the height in the front and back equally, then there should be no need to adjust the headlights, correct? Headlight angle should be the same. It should only be when you adjust the height of the front or back unequally that the headlights will need adjusting.

Second, I don't understand why the height on the wall is relative to headlight height. That would mean that the higher the headlight, the farther the light will go before 'hitting the ground' and more likely to blind other drivers. Why wouldn't it be that you have a set height on the wall, so matter how high the headlights, it still covers the same distance on the ground (assuming it's downward angle still).

Is the point of the adjustment not about how far the light is thrown, but to have a downward angle that doesn't blind drivers?

OP
OP
MookeyB37

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the same for cars and trucks, but my understanding is that the height on the wall should be a couple inches below the center line of your headlights. In other words, if your headlights are 40 inches high, for example, then the height on the wall should be 38 (or is it 36?). The point is though that the height of your beam is relative to your headlight.

Two things confuse me about this rule. One is that if you raise the height in the front and back equally, then there should be no need to adjust the headlights, correct? Headlight angle should be the same. It should only be when you adjust the height of the front or back unequally that the headlights will need adjusting.

Second, I don't understand why the height on the wall is relative to headlight height. That would mean that the higher the headlight, the farther the light will go before 'hitting the ground' and more likely to blind other drivers. Why wouldn't it be that you have a set height on the wall, so matter how high the headlights, it still covers the same distance on the ground (assuming it's downward angle still).

Is the point of the adjustment not about how far the light is thrown, but to have a downward angle that doesn't blind drivers?
I’m in the same boat. Was hoping to get some guidance here from someone that’s done it already

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter