Does extended warranty cover rear differential bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i think although ford puts their name on extended warranty, it might still be thru a 3rd party.. may want to research..

i think diff bearings would be covered, even under the most basic powertrain warranty. there was a big problem at one time with the jeep carrier bearings where basically every one needed new ones.. hopefully this isn't going to be a widespread issue.
Ford ESP/Protect is only sold through them. Aftermarket warranty companies are scams.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
YUP.
Ford ESP. it’s helped me out 2x - once with the ’01 Lightning, and just recently with the ’17 Rap.

Yes, that POS Rap waited 54 THOUSAND miles and 6 years to suffer a front axle seal leak. My Lightning made it 7 years, but only 29,000 miles before I needed an AC compressor.

COME ON Ford, get it together !
( heavy sarcasm here )

In all seriousness, I’d have been ok fixing the axle seal, but I was worried about breaking a seriously expensive hard part OR having some kind of module failure. For the cost of the warranty vs. the cost of say major engine or transmission work, it’s kind of a gamble either way but I lean towards getting it covered.

I’ll echo previous comments on aftermarket warranties. i had one through Allstate and it was a total clown show to get coverage. I lost a cam chain tensioner on my ’97 SVT Mustang, but it didn’t throw any codes, it just ran like poop under 2000 rpm. They required a written statement from the shop to do a tear down, and even when the part was identified internally, they sent an “adjuster” out to try and find some modification responsible for it. They did too, I had an MSD ignition box on it so they denied it. Then, the mechanic and service manager penned me a letter - “we will testify in court that this failure is wholly unaffected by ANY modifications done to this vehicle... blah blah, blah”.

It took me another 6 weeks to get repair approval. Also, they challenged me for -every- maintenance item, not just engine oil but all powertrain related maintenance... I had every single one. I lived right across the street from a Ford dealer :)

Ford ESP has been much easier to deal with and much less hassle/drama.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah. Job #1 for the aftermarket companies is to decline. Ford and other OEM policies lean at least a bit toward customer retention.

Similar for service writers at stealerships…some decline all while others want to help.

Gotta be your own advocate.