Does extended warranty cover offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

younganddumb

Reaction score
Earlier today I took my Gen2 2018 Raptor into a massive dried out retention pond to drift and such, put it in baja and did some drifts and after about 10 minutes it threw a check engine light. I had another guy with me who had an ecoboost 2015 platinum and his truck was fine. I had oil leaking on my turbos it looked like and then I had to be towed out of the pond by some friends, it ended up not being able to get started and I'm not sure if whatever problems it's having is covered. All I did was use it for what it's made for, off roading, and it broke some how. I'm 16 so I'm new to this and obviously don't know what I dont know, any help guys? My parents are pissed and they just left the truck at the top of the pond.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parents are pissed and they just left the truck at the top of the pond.

Not sure why they are pissed - they are the geniuses who allowed a 16yo to drive a Raptor.

In regard to warranty covering off-roading - well, let's just say that your story is not going to go over well with the service department. While a Raptor is capable off-road, I bet the warranty docs clearly exclude your specific use (or track time, or rock crawling, or similar things off public roadways).

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s unlikely that you screwed it up by drifting. At least you had the sense to put it in 2H, or we’d be hearing about how you rolled it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around a 16-year-old with a Raptor.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main question would be - Is your truck still under warranty?

I off-road my raptor a lot and have never has issues with the extended warranty. Going to Baja along with plenty of desert running in Nevada and Utah for example.

OP
OP
younganddumb

younganddumb

Reaction score
Not sure why they are pissed - they are the geniuses who allowed a 16yo to drive a Raptor.

In regard to warranty covering off-roading - well, let's just say that your story is not going to go over well with the service department. While a Raptor is capable off-road, I bet the warranty docs clearly exclude your specific use (or track time, or rock crawling, or similar things off public roadways).
Thanks my dad just brought it to the house I’m not sure how but it they said it smells like it’s burning new fuel and said something about a spark plug issue maybe? I had just refueled it before I took it off road.

OP
OP
younganddumb

younganddumb

Reaction score
It’s unlikely that you screwed it up by drifting. At least you had the sense to put it in 2H, or we’d be hearing about how you rolled it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around a 16-year-old with a Raptor.
It was in Baja mode which switched it to 4H but I locked the differentials because my buddy had told me that would’ve helped

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was in Baja mode which switched it to 4H but I locked the differentials because my buddy had told me that would’ve helped
Don't do donuts in 4WD. Unless you want to remove the paint from the roof by rubbing it on the ground ... you're lucky you didn't roll it.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good name bud. Just be honest with your parents and with the service advisor and take your lumps. It’s a fine lesson. Everyone makes mistakes and you’re lucky nobody got hurt. A Raptor is a freaking hefty toy that can bite back. Seek better guidance next time.