Does extended warranty cover rear differential bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a humming sound coming out from rear differential. Local mechanic diagnosed that rear differential bearings (pinion bearings or something) gone bad. Do you guys think this can be covered by extended warranty?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would you come here and ask vs contacting warranty company?

Even the most basic warranty is a powertrain warranty that should cover rear axle bearings.

But I have seen stranger stuff and ultimately it is a decision the warranty company gets to make based on the fine print of the contract.

OP
OP
Kurator

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All extended warranties are sold by and backed by Ford itself...

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All extended warranties are sold by and backed by Ford itself...
What are you talking about????????????

Ford has their own extended warranty you can buy. But NO Ford does not back aftermarket companies warranties.

Autto
Zurich
Experian

are just 3 aftermarket warranty companies that I can think of right off the bat, but there are probably hundreds. And that should tell you something. It is a lucrative business, lucrative for the warranty companies. Which should tell you that in most cases the customer looses.

OP
OP
Kurator

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about????????????

Ford has their own extended warranty you can buy. But NO Ford does not back aftermarket companies warranties.

Autto
Zurich
Experian

are just 3 aftermarket warranty companies that I can think of right off the bat, but there are probably hundreds. And that should tell you something. It is a lucrative business, lucrative for the warranty companies. Which should tell you that in most cases the customer looses.

Heya Mr. Grumpy Old Guy, I meant: "Does Ford Extended Warranty cover rear differential bearings?". Sorry for confusion.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heya Mr. Grumpy Old Guy, I meant: "Does Ford Extended Warranty cover rear differential bearings?". Sorry for confusion.

i think although ford puts their name on extended warranty, it might still be thru a 3rd party.. may want to research..

i think diff bearings would be covered, even under the most basic powertrain warranty. there was a big problem at one time with the jeep carrier bearings where basically every one needed new ones.. hopefully this isn't going to be a widespread issue.

OP
OP
Kurator

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think although ford puts their name on extended warranty, it might still be thru a 3rd party.. may want to research..

i think diff bearings would be covered, even under the most basic powertrain warranty. there was a big problem at one time with the jeep carrier bearings where basically every one needed new ones.. hopefully this isn't going to be a widespread issue.

Thanks for info. Unfortunately I wont be able to find out until end of May. That's how backed up Ford dealerships for service appointments...