DIY QC 3.0 Dual USB Charger Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
For the front and rear power outlets, they run off fuse 6 and 8 IIRC, both are 20 amp fuses. I spliced into the old OEM wiring for the cigarette lighter so the power is the same.
If you're having issues with a stop/start, maybe get an eliminator for that so it doesn't do it anymore?
Or, reinstall in either the front outlet as I have shown or the rear outlet?
Hard to give you direction on it without knowing exactly whats going on or where you currently have your setup installed

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I know the front one will automatically turn off after 30 minutes and have read that the rear is always hot.

If you know that the rear works differently please let us know.

I can't really see Ford keeping the rear 12V cigarette plug staying hot but I believe it's what someone had stated here on the forum.

Travis B

Reaction score
Having trouble finding an adapter that I like the look of as much as this one, would you share the link of where you acquired it? Thank you.

OP
OP
WoahItsRob

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having trouble finding an adapter that I like the look of as much as this one, would you share the link of where you acquired it? Thank you.
YONHAN 36W Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Car Charger Socket, Metal Waterproof 12V USB Outlet with Blue LED & 10A Fuse for 12V/24V Marine Boat Golf Cart Truck Motorcycle and More

This is the one I used-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBLYTST/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I got this other one for the gf and install went smooth. Has the ability to not be on with a press of a touchscreen style button, also shows voltage-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J3WHQYJ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Travis B

Reaction score
Thank you very much, the second one you listed is similar to the one I bought, but I wasn't sure if the bezel would sit properly in the hole because the bezel is just slightly bigger than the recessed area. So I wasn't sure whether to get one like your first one that covers the recess or file down the bezel on the one i bought that is similar to your second listed plug. It sits fine in your other application without modification huh? and thanks again.

OP
OP
WoahItsRob

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had slight modification necessary on the first one per the diy. The one I put in hers had a lot more dremmeling to make it work as her port was smaller in comparison. Hers was for a Nissan

chuxdelux

Reaction score
I'll have to put this on the to do list. Has anyone had issues with using 3rd party charger w/ their Apple products. With previous iPhone models I felt like 3rd party charger degraded my battery much faster. Maybe it was an iPhone X problem.

gstahl

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few notes, just completed this mod...

- I used...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NV8ZM68/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

This worked great and did not require any Dremeling of the hole. I did Dremel out some of the supporting structure in back to fit the retaining ring but then released the best way to put it in is to put the ring all the way in and the spin the USB adapter. Once I could see where it tightened to I loosened a bit adjusted the ring and snugged down, was able to align it spot on.

- I would say a few notes on trim removal... Some videos folks say the vent trim comes straight out... this was not the case for me.. I would say... Remove/loosen trim around cup holders (pull straight up), then speaker, then top console, then climate/display AND THEN vent... The cup holder trim clips into the event trim so it should be loosened first. The display/climate trim just gives you better access.

Also when reinstalling... vent trim then cup holder trim then ensure the small trim below climate is outside the vent trim and in the groove. Then climate display trim (do not forget the two 7 mm bolts) then top console trim (also 2 7mm bolts). then speaker trim.

Everything else went smoothly... It was fuse 6 for me (20A)

Hope that helps someone.