DIY QC 3.0 Dual USB Charger Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks... threw mine in today and having the wiring colors readily available was nice (quick ref).

On the flip side , lost about 4 of those got damn little white clips. Anyone have a part number for a bag of 25 or more of those little bastards?

JBKeiser

Reaction score
Does anyone have the instructions for removing the center stack they can provide? I'd like to add the USB charger but I don't want to risk busting up the plastic connectors.

OP
OP
WoahItsRob

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the instructions for removing the center stack they can provide? I'd like to add the USB charger but I don't want to risk busting up the plastic connectors.
You should be able to just go on YouTube and the f150 center stack removal video would work as well.
Pop the speaker up, unbolt two 7mm bolts and pop the tray off. Unbolt another two 7mm bolts and pop the center stack off.
You might lose a couple white tabs but no big deal

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

JBKeiser

Reaction score
You should be able to just go on YouTube and the f150 center stack removal video would work as well.
Pop the speaker up, unbolt two 7mm bolts and pop the tray off. Unbolt another two 7mm bolts and pop the center stack off.
You might lose a couple white tabs but no big deal

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fuse are you guys planning to tap into, or how are you powering it? I installed a similar USB port in a different location, but mine seems to lose power whenever the truck auto stop/start kicks in (at least, that's what I think is happening...I don't use the port very often). What fuse would I use in order for it to have constant power, but shut off after a certain amount of time after the truck is turned off (similar to the 12V power in the center console)? Or does the power wire for the 12V outlet that you're replacing have power similar to the outlet in the console?

OP
OP
WoahItsRob

WoahItsRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fuse are you guys planning to tap into, or how are you powering it? I installed a similar USB port in a different location, but mine seems to lose power whenever the truck auto stop/start kicks in (at least, that's what I think is happening...I don't use the port very often). What fuse would I use in order for it to have constant power, but shut off after a certain amount of time after the truck is turned off (similar to the 12V power in the center console)? Or does the power wire for the 12V outlet that you're replacing have power similar to the outlet in the console?
For the front and rear power outlets, they run off fuse 6 and 8 IIRC, both are 20 amp fuses. I spliced into the old OEM wiring for the cigarette lighter so the power is the same.
If you're having issues with a stop/start, maybe get an eliminator for that so it doesn't do it anymore?
Or, reinstall in either the front outlet as I have shown or the rear outlet?
Hard to give you direction on it without knowing exactly whats going on or where you currently have your setup installed

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the front and rear power outlets, they run off fuse 6 and 8 IIRC, both are 20 amp fuses. I spliced into the old OEM wiring for the cigarette lighter so the power is the same.
If you're having issues with a stop/start, maybe get an eliminator for that so it doesn't do it anymore?
Or, reinstall in either the front outlet as I have shown or the rear outlet?
Hard to give you direction on it without knowing exactly whats going on or where you currently have your setup installed

Thanks for the info...when I get a chance I'll look to see what fuse I tapped into for my USB port. As for adding an eliminator, I like the start/stop feature, I just don't like that I must have chosen a fuse that doesn't have power when the auto stop shuts the engine off (or maybe it loses power as it auto starts the engine again).

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice great install thanks for sharing and with such detail in the pics. Great job!