DIY CO2 air tank / save money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a DIY money saver for your Air tank needs. This is a basic kit for getting your tires aired back up and not spending the full price on a brand name. I have attached the pictures and some EBAY snapshots. I found that after I bought them, I actually saved even more money as each purchase came with an EBAY discount from the supplier.

1. 10 lbs alum CO2 tank / 99.00
2. 150 psi- 40 cfm reg / 49.00
3. High pressure hose / 30.00
4. Lower tank protector / 19.00
5. Powertank mount / 79.00
Total Cost / 280.00

If you compare that to the price of the big name brands you will see its roughly 1/2 the cost. I have done some research and talked to other people and found that the need for a dual regulator in relatively useless if your just planning on operating a power tool and airing up tires.

You also have a few options for tank protection, such as the ones Powertank offers. You can Plasti-dip the tank, or have it wrapped. My local sign shop is going to wrap mine in a clear blue wrap that will show the natural finish of the aluminum underneath. I opted to buy the Powertank mount and hose since they are highly recommended as being excellent quality, fit and finish.

10 lbs tank.jpg

150 Reg.jpg

Base protector.jpg

Hose.jpg

tank mount.jpg

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fixed 150PSI regulator is the way to go for tire filling usage. There's no need for a variable pressure regulator.

Your CO2 filler (welding supply store or beverage company typically) will likely have to put a DOT sticker on your tank so keep that in mind if you're thinking about wrapping, painting, etc. your tank.

I used this on my 10 lb. aluminum tank - it protects the tank very well. You slide it on (it's tight) and trim to length using scissors. You'd put it on after the DOT sticker is applied when first filled.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010LAPP0S/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

You may like this bracket better depending on your installation:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5CKGHK/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Those coiled air hoses are not recommended in cold climates as some of them can freeze and shatter

You may like this filler...
TEKTON 46133 3/8-Inch I.D. by 6-Foot 300 PSI Hybrid Lead-In Air Hose with 1/4-Inch MPT Ends
$12.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z1K60C...colid=S6MSDIX2MAM0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You may also need some hose end fittings and adapters. Here's one of many options:
FYPower 15 Pieces 1/4" NPT Air Coupler and Plug Kit, Quick Connect Air Fittings, Industrial Solid Brass Quick Connect Set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NWQXC3...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can check craigslist/offerup and find people selling hydro'ed C02 tanks for cheap. I picked up my 20lb tank, with a 150psi fixed regulator for like $40. Trick is just wading through the ads for a decent one. Also, if you want to get one of these, look into where and how you're going to get it re-filled. The easiest way is a swap out at somewhere like airgas or praxair, which means the nice new one you bought is getting traded out. Finding somewhere that actual refills yours isn't as easy or convenient, I've found.

C02 tanks are awesome to have vs a compressor though.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your CO2 filler (welding supply store or beverage company typically) will likely have to put a DOT sticker on your tank so keep that in mind if you're thinking about wrapping, painting, etc. your tank.

Why a DOT sticker? I've never gotten a DOT sticker on mine.