Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 disfigured leaves?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modification' started by hedonist222, Mar 29, 2020.

1. EricM

EricM FRF Addict

Given that you had no clue that adjusting the load forward/backwards on the trailer affects the tongue weight- I'm going to take a WAG that you just loaded that thing up and rolled out with zero consideration for the tongue weight whatsoever. That's why you have bent springs. I assume you've noticed that you are the only one posting pics of bent springs here...

What you should have done was a rough estimate of the loaded trailer weight. Figure 10% as a starting point for tongue wight. So if you have a 3300 lb loaded trailer, you want about 330 lbs of tongue weight. Use a scale setup of some sort, and see what you have with it loaded on the trailer the way you'd prefer. If it's around 10-15%, call it good as a start. If it's higher, move the load back. If it's lower, move it forward. Once you get it right, mark the location of the tires of the SxS on the trailer or install a wheel stop for next time. You can then try small adjustments of the SxS forward/backwards over time to dial it in perfectly.

As for the angle of the tongue, as stated above, you need a drop hitch. If you plan to tow multiple trailers, get an adjustable one. In general though, most smaller trailers are setup for an 18" ball height. You can measure up to the bottom of the receiver, add the ball height, then subtract 18". That's the drop needed typically. SAo if it's 20 in to the bottom of the

Donmatteo likes this.
  2. hedonist222

hedonist222 Full Access Member

artist's rendition of the whats happening now

burned-stake.jpg

Lou Maldonado and Leftsidej like this.
  3. Jakenbake

Jakenbake Full Access Member

I’ll admit that I have not read this entire thread and I just want pose some comments.

For the leaf springs to yield from one single event, they would have to deflect enough to reach that point. So if the truck has bumps stops (factory or otherwise) would the springs be able to deflect far enough to do so?

Second theory is that they are fatigued. Do we believe that they have seen enough cycles to meet that criteria?

Personally I would think the bump stops would prevent the over load damage unless they were damaged too.

Also looking at the pictures it looks like it could be an optical illusion that they are bent/sagging. Someone with photoshop might be able to separate the leafs in the photos to see if they are sagging or it is an optical illusion.

Thoughts?

4. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

I would suggest getting a drop hitch that will allow the trailer tongue to be level, and then play around with moving the load back, if you have room to do so. It looks like you may not have room with the gate in place, hard to tell. You for sure have room if you lose the gate. You could always get a set of ramps in you have to dump your gate.

Most times you don't need to move your load much to make a significant difference in weight at the tongue. With the engine in the rear of the buggy I would guess a small change will have a large affect.

NOW BURN, YOU BASTARD!!! :Big Laugh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    GCATX likes this.
  5. hedonist222

Hahaha

6. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would suggest measuring the the distance from the rear fender flare to the ground with the trailer disconnected. Then hook/load everything up, like you're heading out to the dunes, then move the utv back enough to where you get an 1"-1.5" less than the previous measurement, that will probably get you in the neighborhood of having enough, but not too much, tongue weight.

Sorry, if I was gruff in previous posts, but you should really post a pic with everything loaded, without the jack being all the way down so we can give an opinion. Otherwise, your spreading fake news and probably bought stock in Deaver Springs last week.

Anyway, all the best. I hope you get it sorted out before you run into a bus of nuns or school kids. :^)

7. jabroni619

jabroni619 FRF Addict

8. hedonist222

haha will do
    thanks!

thank you

9. SilverBolt

SilverBolt Hired Gun

Looks like axle wrap. Have you had instances of wheel hop either on or off road?

10. hedonist222

Silverbolt - I actually had some violent wheel hop once about a month ago.

About 4 or 5 violent wheel hops while in soft sand.