GEN 2 disfigured leaves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While OPs explanation was a bit off,

Exactly. We only know what he is electing to share. Seems like, to me, that there is information being left out. Regardless of the cause, the effect is bent springs. Springs only bend like that under a sever overload from either the bed or towing.

Something in his story is missing and he's electing to not share it.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bring rude. You have several people telling you that you've overloaded your truck and the bent springs are a result of that yet you still try, incorrectly, to point out how you are right.

You initially started this thread asking as if it was a defect or normal and mentioned "no jumping" yet failed to mention, what it appears, you tow quite a bit.

Your premise of angles, weight, physics and math are the issue here.

You overloaded your truck and you have 3 options.

1. Pay to replace it with stock springs and pay out of pocket because you damaged them by exceeding the limts
2. Replace them with Deavers that can help with towing.
3. Live it with.

Regardless if what you do, you need to learn how to tow and load because what you are doing is not only a danger to you, but to others on the roads.

Wasn't insisting I was right.

Was just clarifying the blunder I made when I said that the axle being away from the the car relieves it of excess weight on tongue.

But you've all jumped the gun on blaming it on the tow setup.

I'm not saying its not the tow - I'm saying without weighing the tongue, we won't know if it was the towing.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. We only know what he is electing to share. Seems like, to me, that there is information being left out. Regardless of the cause, the effect is bent springs. Springs only bend like that under a sever overload from either the bed or towing.

Something in his story is missing and he's electing to not share it.

hahaha you guys are way too "conspiracy theory" at the moment

electing to share

information left out

Whatever you ask I'll answer

nothing to hide and no reason to hide anything

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then how do I reduce the tongue weight without altering hitch height or axle location?
You adjust the load.

If, for example, how's it's currently loaded, your tongue weight is 900lbs...if you move your load back, even a 1 foot towards the axle of the trailer, the weight bias will shift off the tongue weight reducing to possibly 700lbs or less.

It's physics.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't insisting I was right.

Was just clarifying the blunder I made when I said that the axle being away from the the car relieves it of excess weight on tongue.

But you've all jumped the gun on blaming it on the tow setup.

I'm not saying its not the tow - I'm saying without weighing the tongue, we won't know if it was the towing.

You know how we know it's the towing or load? by looking at the springs.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While OPs explanation was a bit off, that doesn’t look like a big enough load to damage the springs regardless. I pull a bigger SxS on a larger trailer with no damage to the springs. I’ve even pulled it with 4 passengers plus a weekends worth of luggage.

It started off and I think I cleared it up and more than happy to answer any questions.
Really. I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I'm here to learn from you guys and hopefully contribute back to the community.

Until I can get the tongue weight weighed or provide a photo that illustrates that , visually, there really isn't enough weight to do the damage that is on the car now. The wheel well sag would illustrate that.

Plus I really don't have more than 2,000 trailered miles - over the total mileage of 25,000 miles.

And if 2,000 miles of a light weight buggy caused this - well then the stock leaves are just abhorrent IMO/IME.

I trailered the same buggy/trailer on my Nissan Patrol for about 10,000 miles and the rear suspension remained spot on till I got rid of it at 290,000 miles.

Yeah yeah, coil over vs leaf - but still.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You adjust the load.

If, for example, how's it's currently loaded, your tongue weight is 900lbs...if you move your load back, even a 1 foot towards the axle of the trailer, the weight bias will shift off the tongue weight reducing to possibly 700lbs or less.

It's physics.

I was happy till I got to the condescending bit at the end lol.

I'll see what I can do with shifting weight.