Differential gear changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well just for discussion that might shock a few....

Went from 4.10 stock to 5.13s. Before around town I was getting 12.5 mpg and now i'm getting 13.5 mpg. I even drive worse than before because this thing is like a rocket (for a 6k lbs truck) off the line. I am running 35s right now and 2 weeks will start on fenders for the 37s. I do turn a ton of RPMs now with the 35s down the highway, but the truck doesn't shift in and out of 5th-6th like it use to and does better in my eyes. This motor likes RPMs above 2k and so does the tranny when pushing a barn down the road.

Wind by far is the MPG getter on the 6.2L. I had my good buddy take his eco boost that was running either 3.55 or 3.73s and put 4.10s in it. Now he did put raptor tires on it and the eco was suffering to get it down the road. With the 4.10s it does tons better and now is back up to the 15-16 range with 4.10s. Before the gear change and the larger tires it was getting worse than my raptor.

So based on his and my view the 35s won't gain much if not loose MPGs because the motor will struggle down the road with anything higher than 4.10s. Even though you are turning less RPMs the motor just won't do it. Kinda like a bicycle when you were a little kid and enough though you could turn it at the high speed gear you struggled to keep up and eventually had to drop a gear to keep going the same speed with less effort. Crappy example but you get the point. Wind drag is what it is and physics's for that don't lie. I say stay with your 4.10s.

besids gas do you have any real life tests like quarter mile? dyno?