GEN 1 Dealership transmission flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer says they have a special machine to flush all the fluid out of transmission. Any downside to that? Did a quick google serach, seems some people has problem with flushing transmission, and some say good things about it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My thought is it should be changed (flushed) regularly from new, if it hasnt been done, then you should just leave it alone as build up of particles will come loose in the flushing and possibly plug up areas where it shouldn't. I never flushed mine and its at 240,000km now. Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will have different opinions. I wish I could take mine in and it could be flushed and cleaned properly, but I cant see it happening. Will just take my chances now and when she blows, get a new one and have it serviced regularly.

D

Deleted member 12951

I had my dealership do it. They heat the fluid up and it runs through. My transmission fluid was literally black like old oil at 75k. I was having transmission overheating issues when off-roading. No real issues when just on pavement. I was upgrading the transmission cooler when I saw how bad the fluid looked and got it changed out the next week. One thing that I didn’t care for is they do not drop the pan and change the filter. So I was planning on doing that myself at 100k. After they flushed it, transmission works better and no more overheating. I would do it again.

Manual states to change it at 150k. No way should you wait that long. I should of done mine at 50k.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so tempted to do it. Had an appointment set up already, but still have time to think about it. My milage is pretty low, about 25k. But still, it's a 7 years old truck. With the money and time spent on this truck, I want to keep the truck long term, beside I do like it a lot. Trying to keep it at the best for as long as I can. I've changed diff oil to Amsoil at home, will do transfer case to Amsoil shortly. Watched a video on youtube about the Ford flush machine (rotunda) they suppose to use, I cannot think of how that could do any harm to transmission...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am so tempted to do it. Had an appointment set up already, but still have time to think about it. My milage is pretty low, about 25k. But still, it's a 7 years old truck. With the money and time spent on this truck, I want to keep the truck long term, beside I do like it a lot. Trying to keep it at the best for as long as I can. I've changed diff oil to Amsoil at home, will do transfer case to Amsoil shortly. Watched a video on youtube about the Ford flush machine (rotunda) they suppose to use, I cannot think of how that could do any harm to transmission...
I think with your low mileage, you should do it. Ive always changed all other fluids, but for some reason just forgot about the tranny myself and now that im high mileage, well, too late for me.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The consensus for all vehicles I’ve seen is every 30k miles do a filter change, drain and fill. Shorter interval if you really beat on it. You can do a flush every 30k also. Flushes over 30k miles can get risky because particles can get trapped and blow the tranny or clutches can slip because they were used to relying on the particles to grip. If at 25k miles then I’d be okay with a flush.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2017 (sorry I am new just found out this is gen 1 post) Raptor was slamming between gears at 40 to 70 mph when full throttle applications were held on. My truck has 24,000 miles on it. I adjusted the tuner (SCT) between the preloaded stock, 87, 91, and 94 settings to try and help the transmission out. It eventually started throwing codes and ck engine light. I hooked up the Snap On scanner, cleared transmission related codes. Read the All Data information about my truck. Researched information on this forum finding that some early models had problems with loose transmission lines and a clip that was related to the plug at the transmission. All data says to change the fluid at 30,000. There is a dipstick on the right side of the transmission which requires a 19mm open end wrench, a set of gloves (check transmission level hot) and is located 5 inches from the right side catalytic converter. I checked the level and condition of the fluid. It needs to be changed, getting dark, and added 1.5 liters of the reccomended Ford ATF fluid. I would recommend #1 Check your fluid level. #2. Check your fluid condition. #3. Change it every 30,000 miles. #4. Remove the transmission pan and replace the transmission filter when you do your initial flush. Examine transmission pan for foreign particles, parts, anything that can help you determine if you need to go through your transmission. If initial pan drop is clean, install filter, fill and flush. If you have more than normal clutch wear in the pan, leave it, don't touch the filter, reinstall the pan and put the dirty fluid back in the transmission (this is if you are under 5 years or 50,000 miles). Get Ford to fix it. Don't tell them that you pulled the pan, they purposely hide the dipstick and don't give that information to the general public as they want to control what goes in the tranny, and have had problems in the past with over and underfilled failures while still under warranty. Once my transmission was full, I was still having bad shifting issues. More research told me that some tuners boost engine performance with the ECU for the Engine, but fail to reprogram the Transmission ECU. I talked with several tuners and found a company by the name of JDM Engineering. I bought an Emailed tune, downloaded it to my SCT box, programmed my truck. The engine and transmission operate in harmony now. The shifting is amazing in every mode. I am very happy with Jim and Jim Jr. as my truck has better performance, better drivability, unbelievable transmission operation. Highly recommend these guys. I would also request any further information from any other people who have opinions or experience in any of my discussion. Has anyone figured out how to get their Gen 2 Raptor to get rear axle locked up in 2wd so you can have unlimited fun on the beach?❤

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2017 (sorry I am new just found out this is gen 1 post) Raptor was slamming between gears at 40 to 70 mph when full throttle applications were held on. My truck has 24,000 miles on it. I adjusted the tuner (SCT) between the preloaded stock, 87, 91, and 94 settings to try and help the transmission out. It eventually started throwing codes and ck engine light. I hooked up the Snap On scanner, cleared transmission related codes. Read the All Data information about my truck. Researched information on this forum finding that some early models had problems with loose transmission lines and a clip that was related to the plug at the transmission. All data says to change the fluid at 30,000. There is a dipstick on the right side of the transmission which requires a 19mm open end wrench, a set of gloves (check transmission level hot) and is located 5 inches from the right side catalytic converter. I checked the level and condition of the fluid. It needs to be changed, getting dark, and added 1.5 liters of the reccomended Ford ATF fluid. I would recommend #1 Check your fluid level. #2. Check your fluid condition. #3. Change it every 30,000 miles. #4. Remove the transmission pan and replace the transmission filter when you do your initial flush. Examine transmission pan for foreign particles, parts, anything that can help you determine if you need to go through your transmission. If initial pan drop is clean, install filter, fill and flush. If you have more than normal clutch wear in the pan, leave it, don't touch the filter, reinstall the pan and put the dirty fluid back in the transmission (this is if you are under 5 years or 50,000 miles). Get Ford to fix it. Don't tell them that you pulled the pan, they purposely hide the dipstick and don't give that information to the general public as they want to control what goes in the tranny, and have had problems in the past with over and underfilled failures while still under warranty. Once my transmission was full, I was still having bad shifting issues. More research told me that some tuners boost engine performance with the ECU for the Engine, but fail to reprogram the Transmission ECU. I talked with several tuners and found a company by the name of JDM Engineering. I bought an Emailed tune, downloaded it to my SCT box, programmed my truck. The engine and transmission operate in harmony now. The shifting is amazing in every mode. I am very happy with Jim and Jim Jr. as my truck has better performance, better drivability, unbelievable transmission operation. Highly recommend these guys. I would also request any further information from any other people who have opinions or experience in any of my discussion. Has anyone figured out how to get their Gen 2 Raptor to get rear axle locked up in 2wd so you can have unlimited fun on the beach?❤

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer says they have a special machine to flush all the fluid out of transmission. Any downside to that? Did a quick google serach, seems some people has problem with flushing transmission, and some say good things about it.

Transmission components (lines, cooler) should only be flushed after a failure that requires internal repairs.

What you are looking for is a transmission service. That means fluid drained, filter replaced, and new fluid added in. If you don’t want to change the filter, some machines can do a fluid exchange, which means it evacuates the old fluid and adds new fluid. No flushing involved. And definitely do not allow them to do a chemical flush (BG, etc). If a transmission is in bad enough condition that solvents are required to remove varnish/burnt fluid, the transmission requires internal repairs.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The Rotunda Heated Trans flusher is an excellent piece of equipment, but it’s only designed for flushing transmission lines, coolers, and torque converters.
It is used after a transmission repair or when installing a new or rebuilt transmission to prevent contamination of the replacement or repaired unit due to the reuse of the lines and cooler.