GEN 1 Dealership transmission flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I ask them to change filter at the same time? Truck has 25k. Dropping pan can only drain less than half of the oil, right? My transmission has no problem, just trying to keep it at top condition.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should I ask them to change filter at the same time? Truck has 25k. Dropping pan can only drain less than half of the oil, right? My transmission has no problem, just trying to keep it at top condition.

Although you have low miles, it wouldn’t hurt to replace the filter it after it’s been in service for 7 years.

Dropping the pan will get between half and 3/4 of the fluid out; the longer it drains the more will come out. The advantage of the fluid exchange machine is that theoretically all of the fluid is replaced.

OP
OP
O

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rotunda Heated Trans flusher is an excellent piece of equipment, but it’s only designed for flushing transmission lines, coolers, and torque converters.
It is used after a transmission repair or when installing a new or rebuilt transmission to prevent contamination of the replacement or repaired unit due to the reuse of the lines and cooler.

I had my dealership do it. They heat the fluid up and it runs through. My transmission fluid was literally black like old oil at 75k. I was having transmission overheating issues when off-roading. No real issues when just on pavement. I was upgrading the oil cooler when I saw how bad the fluid looked and got it changed out the next week. One thing that I didn’t care for is they do not drop the pan and change the filter. So I was planning on doing that myself at 100k. After they flushed it, transmission works better and no more overheating. I would do it again.

Manual states to change it at 150k. No way should you wait that long. I should of done mine at 50k.

They heat up the oil not the truck right? :Big Laugh: beat the transmission until it reaches temp. I am going to ask them drop the pan change filter as well, so maybe a good time to get a new pan with drain plug? any good replacement pan?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They heat up the oil not the truck right? :Big Laugh: beat the transmission until it reaches temp. I am going to ask them drop the pan change filter as well, so maybe a good time to get a new pan with drain plug? any good replacement pan?
I dont think you should worry about a pan with a plug, when you want to change the fluid in the future you'll want to change the filter as well, unless you think you can squeeze it through a drain hole :33:

Yamazuki

Reaction score
Pan with a plug is still nice if you plan on keeping the truck for a while and regularly changing the fluid and filter.

Pan with plug = much smaller mess when draining fluid to remove pan and access filter.

OP
OP
O

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cancelled appointment. Confirmed they actually don't use FORD rotunda machine, and don't take any responsibility if something goes wrong after. I will dorp the pan do the old way then. Still considering pan with drain plug, but those deep pan seems probably has potential clearence issue.

raptorman

Reaction score
FordTechOne, thank you for an excellent and helpful reply. I have 97K miles on my 2012, and will drop the pan, change the filter, and refill based on your advice. Do you have a recommended oil?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne, thank you for an excellent and helpful reply. I have 97K miles on my 2012, and will drop the pan, change the filter, and refill based on your advice. Do you have a recommended oil?

No prob. Use Motorcraft or equivalent Mercon LV fluid.

OP
OP
O

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up two cases Mercon LV, did transfer case yesterday first. I believe power steering pump uses mercon LV too, right?

Next will be transmission. How's the dorman oil pan? Has a drain plug really helps to do a clean job.