GEN 1 Dealership transmission flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Picked up two cases Mercon LV, did transfer case yesterday first. I believe power steering pump uses mercon LV too, right?

Next will be transmission. How's the dorman oil pan? Has a drain plug really helps to do a clean job.

No, Power Steering uses Mercon V. Not sure about the Dorman pans; haven’t used one myself.

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to have my transmission flushed after some rough shifting from 1 to 2 began a couple weeks ago. Dealer charged me $265 in SoCal

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that fix the shifting problem? Not too bad of a price either.

I just got it back about 30 minutes ago and took it on a test drive. It seems to have fixed the issue. I drove around for 25 minutes trying to recreate it and nothing. It feels noticeable smoother.

I checked the level last night and it was some of the dirtiest oil I’ve ever seen so I think (Hope) this was the issue. I’ll keep updating this thread if the issue comes back.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got it back about 30 minutes ago and took it on a test drive. It seems to have fixed the issue. I drove around for 25 minutes trying to recreate it and nothing. It feels noticeable smoother.

I checked the level last night and it was some of the dirtiest oil I’ve ever seen so I think (Hope) this was the issue. I’ll keep updating this thread if the issue comes back.
Ive got 140,000 miles on my tranny fluid,I'm sure its muck by now, ha ha.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer did a flush on mine a couple years ago and I noticed a difference in the shifting for the worse right away. Then it started making some noise. Long story short, they had to warranty a transmission rebuild.

Obviously something went wrong with the flush, they denied the fact the entire time that their mechanic ever did anything wrong, and all I asked them was to make sure whomever worked on my truck that day never does another flush for anyone else.

I brought it in on a Saturday originally, so maybe I got stuck with the pimply face lube boy and not their transmission technician. Maybe the new fluid level was low, maybe somehow some debris got flushed into the tranny I don't know, I forget exactly what they had told me what went wrong and I'd have to dig through my stack of old paperwork on the truck and see what they claimed on the diagnosis and service record.

They were very good about the rebuild process all in all and walked me back there, introduced me to their transmission mechanic who showed me around my pile of parts, and reassured me I was in good hands. Seeing a brand new GT350 up on the lift next to mine getting a clutch warrantied with only a few thousand miles, made me feel a little better.

It's been tens of thousands of miles since then and the transmission has been totally fine, and my truck sees a lot less miles these days, but I think I'm staying away from another flush ever lol.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealer did a flush on mine a couple years ago and I noticed a difference in the shifting for the worse right away. Then it started making some noise. Long story short, they had to warranty a transmission rebuild.

Obviously something went wrong with the flush, they denied the fact the entire time that their mechanic ever did anything wrong, and all I asked them was to make sure whomever worked on my truck that day never does another flush for anyone else.

I brought it in on a Saturday originally, so maybe I got stuck with the pimply face lube boy and not their transmission technician. Maybe the new fluid level was low, maybe somehow some debris got flushed into the tranny I don't know, I forget exactly what they had told me what went wrong and I'd have to dig through my stack of old paperwork on the truck and see what they claimed on the diagnosis and service record.

They were very good about the rebuild process all in all and walked me back there, introduced me to their transmission mechanic who showed me around my pile of parts, and reassured me I was in good hands. Seeing a brand new GT350 up on the lift next to mine getting a clutch warrantied with only a few thousand miles, made me feel a little better.

It's been tens of thousands of miles since then and the transmission has been totally fine, and my truck sees a lot less miles these days, but I think I'm staying away from another flush ever lol.

This is why trans flushes are not recommended. They tend to dislodge debris from the pan magnet and send it through the valve body, causing valves to stick in their bores. Once valves start sticking they can’t properly apply/release clutches, which then results is damage to those components as well.

raptorman

Reaction score
99,000 miles; decided to follow all the advice and change my own tranny oil. Bought the Dorman pan. Overall, job went flawlessly, just like the videos. Lessons learned: should have went to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchased the cement/mortar tub that one reader suggested for a drain pan (would've caught more oil); even though Raptors have great ground clearance I should have at least rolled up onto some ramps to get more working area under the truck; I wish I would have purchased and installed the dipstick kit, as the oil add/check method next to the hot cats results in finger burns and excessive cussing. Thank you FordTechOne and all the other contributors.