Dealer Appraised My Raptor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think working with smaller dealers who want to move inventory is key.

They would rather sell a used car than be stuck with a leftover new

Back in June I had a welloptioned 2017 screw with 19k miles. Got any where from 45 to 55 being the highest.

Big dealer near town offered me 54 trade but only 3k off msrp

I ended up going with a dealer who had a “demo” fully loaded truck with 2k miles 74.5k sticker

Gave me 55k for my truck and I got the new one for 66800

Sold my truck for 58 a week later. Just the tax benefit alone made the trade 1000 percent worth it vs trying to sell on my own

Cosmo

Reaction score
7D6A9D85-F10C-4112-B59B-48FB4534358D.jpeg

Here is the little guy. It has a lot of work done. Here’s the problem. Getting to the trail was miserable. Prior to the lift, even driving to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix was miserable. 6 speed transmission was awful. Any incline in the road was a downshift for 4th, then it wouldn’t shift back up to 6th. I had to manually do it if I wanted it to happen before the computer did it on its own. Otherwise I would be cruising at 4K rpms and hating life.

To fix this, I regeared it to 4.88. It cost around 3k and I was out the truck for a week. But I did this at the same time as the lift wheels and tires. It basically just put me back where I started. It was not enjoyable.

Don’t get me wrong, they are cool trucks, but I paid 42,292 for mine, before the extras. Spend the extra 10k and get a regular cab raptor. It makes better sense.

I don’t know what I got in trade on mine. The best I can tell you is that I got my 2018 Raptor brand new, straight up.

Lol well said sir. Most Toyota owners would never admit that. The only reason I want one is to have a smaller rig to take on trails that a Raptor is too big to go on. I wouldn’t mind doing the FJ Summit next year and going on Black Bear pass.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you lose a lot of money getting rid of it? I would only have one for a year or two. The plan was to pick one up towards the end of the year. Some northern dealerships will come off the MSRP by a couple of grand when sales slow down and the weather sucks. The good thing is that there are always Tacoma fan boys, so the market will never go away.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the Gen 1 guys make me laugh. Of course, Gen 2 prices will drop when dealers are selling near invoice. But its not like Gen 1 prices arent dropping also. The used Gen 1's will ALWAYS be less than the used Gen 2's

I'm always happy when I can shed some humor on other members....:confused:
And tend to disagree with you,since almost all desirable vehicles have a cycle....Sticker Price/Bottom out price 6-7 years later/Upswing price once guys realize they aint makin' them anymore...Will it happen to the Gen 1 Raptor.....if history repeats itself,I think there is a very good chance.....and only example I can speak of with a small amount of knowledge is the Corvette,since I've owned mine for 45 years.....A C1-C2-C3 (1953-1967) is almost ALWAYS going to be worth more than a later 1980's - 2019 model if well cared for....Try and touch a 63 Split Window Coupe for what you can buy a new Vette for....doubt its gonna happen....they were $2500 when I bought my Convertible for $1000....today the Split Window is well over $100K and the Convertible in the $50-$70K range....BOTH are doing better than a NEW Gen Vette....
My Vette was appx. $3400 NEW in 1963...I bought at bottom of market in 1974 for $1000....and all I've done is watch them go up and up....even kicking myself for not buying a Split Window for $25K+ when I realized they would be very collectable.....I'm hoping the Gen1 will preform just as good.....cant predict the future,but even if it doesnt go up....I'm having a blast driving it....and didnt buy it or my Corvette with making $$ in mind....
And "ALWAYS" and "NEVER" should almost never be used when trying to figure out "vehicles".... just buy what you can afford and what you like.....
I always said I'd NEVER own a boat.....ya know what I named my first boat.... "NEVER SAY NEVER"... :33:

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Comparing a split window ‘63 vette to a gen 1 raptor??? Like I said, you gen 1 guys make me laugh.

But I would hold on to yours! I’m sure in 30 years and 250,000 miles later I will see it at Mecum’s for a million dollars!

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparing a split window ‘63 vette to a gen 1 raptor??? Like I said, you gen 1 guys make me laugh.

But I would hold on to yours! I’m sure in 30 years and 250,000 miles later I will see it at Mecum’s for a million dollars!
Lol I was thinking the same thing. At the end, if you think a mass produced truck will be come a collectors item, you are delusional

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please , there are many great vehicle out there beyond the ford Raptor. Toyota make some quality vehicles. Different stokes for different folks.
Cool. Talk about the Tacomas on the Tacoma forum then if they are so great. I could give a shit how great they hold their value. The problem is they don't hold my interest. This is literally a ''Raptor Forum'' by definition.

D

Deleted member 17706

Really ???

Yea, really. God forbid someone posts something that doesn’t “interest” you. This forum has made references to plenty of different types/brands of vehicles throughout the years. It was only a handful of posts about Tacomas. No reason to act like a ****. If something doesn’t interest you, then move on about your business.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... ok then. Ya, Tacoma's don't interest me. Not quite, '' god forbidden '' though, but good luck with that. I'm just here to talk about Raptors.