Dealer Appraised My Raptor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustler

Reaction score
I think that looks like pretty good residual value for a vehicle that cost approx. $70k vehicle when new. I just did a quick search for a 2017 BMW X5 x35i with about 30k miles, which is a car that cost about $70k when new once optioned, and I see dealers listing them at resale for about $40 to $42k. This is teeny sample, but I bet the Gen. 2 Raptor compares very favorably to other cars in its price bracket.

If you want to compare how Gen 2 holds value compared to Gen 1, you'll have to look either compare the OPs quote to a Gen 1 midway through the Gen 1 life cycle (ie, at a time when someone is choosing between new or lightly used), OR wait a few years and compare a Gen 2 a few years after the Gen 3 has come out, to current Gen 1 depreciation.

My guess, is that the Gen 2 won't hold it's value quite as well as the Gen 1, but will do better than similarly priced vehicles. They are making too many, the V6 just isn't as captivating, it's the second gen, etc... Much will be decided by Ford's future decisions: 1) Gen 3 goes back to V8 = bad for Gen 2 values; 2) Gen three is V6 and ridiculously ugly = good, 3) Gen three is v8 but ugly = who knows? 4) they cancel the raptor = gen 2 values go bonkers (not going to happen).

Also, other manufacturers are jumping in the pool, which will have an effect.

Final thought: The fact that people may not like the TRD Pro is irrelevant, they hold their value like nobodies business. I've owned two Tacomas over the years, and I really just don't get it. I don't they're bad trucks, I just seriously don't get the absurd resale.

D

Deleted member 17706

I came from a TRD Pro Tacoma. I wouldn’t waste the money. The 10 way power seat probably has more power than the engine. It was not fun to drive any distance.

Lol well said sir. Most Toyota owners would never admit that. The only reason I want one is to have a smaller rig to take on trails that a Raptor is too big to go on. I wouldn’t mind doing the FJ Summit next year and going on Black Bear pass.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you lose a lot of money getting rid of it? I would only have one for a year or two. The plan was to pick one up towards the end of the year. Some northern dealerships will come off the MSRP by a couple of grand when sales slow down and the weather sucks. The good thing is that there are always Tacoma fan boys, so the market will never go away.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rust if you look @ em sideways, ride like dog crap, & get mpg similar to an 18 wheeler...if I were in the market for a small truck it’d be a Ford Ranger & I’ve been mostly a GM guy but owned 2 rangers over the years as “beaters” 1 was a ‘98 4wd 4 cyl auto that I used to go back & forth to college & then used as a beater when I had a “nicer” Honda after college. Put 160k on it until my friend totaled it one night. 2nd was an ‘89 2wd 6 cyl manual & that sombich went 268k on the original clutch & brake lines which both blew & then when replaced went another 30k until it lost a head gasket...wish I could’ve taken it 300k, was my neighbors truck growing up & was my fav beater/bad weather DD used to give a break to my ‘04 GTO.

Lastly- dirt cheap to fix/parts & easy to work on yourself

Horsepoo. I just sold my '98 TRD v-6 for $6k with 189k on the clock. No rust on the BODY (but the rear bumper was toast-easy to r/r) nor frame, due to diligent care, esp when I lived in the midwest. The Bilstein shocks gave it a great ride, I could pull mid 20's on the freeway, had the TRD supercharger on it for over 150K miles w/out a peep of protest, and that engine ran strong and smooth. I'd be stunned if (with proper care) it won't reach beyond 300k miles. I put the s/c on with the help of an experienced buddy, put Tundra rotors/calipers on the front, and wired in BOTH an oil pressure AND oil temp gauge, as the 5VZ-FE engine had 3 ports right in the oil galley (one used for the stock oil pressure switch, the others unused). Put on a 2 inch lift kit in a weekend. The oil change in that was substantially LESS messy than one in the Raptor. It's plenty easy to work on. Sure, if all you want is a 'beater', perhaps a Ranger is the truck for you (or a 4cyl 2WD Taco). But for a REAL, small off-road truck, that will get you home EVERY time, you won't be able to beat a V-6 Taco.

The reason Ranger parts are probably so cheap--no one needs 'em. Taco parts still a bit pricey because...people NEED them as those trucks are still on the road. Seriously, look around and see how many 1st/2nd gen Tacos are still being driven daily, then hold your breath looking for a comparable vintage Ranger.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at my Local Ford dealer to look at the new Explorer ST and was chatting with the sales people about the raptor values, they asked if I wanted a appraisal. So after they went out and looked at my Raptor and 10min later they gave me my appraisal. I tip my hat to the Gen 1 guys, their trucks will still be worth 45k 20 years from now. Lol
I get that this is trade in but still.

View attachment 128939

Us GEN 1 guys are not as dumb as we look...LOL...and was already offered more than I paid for mine.....SORRY,NO SALE..!;)

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a preowned Tacoma for my kid... talk about holding value! At our budget, they all have 100k + miles too. Well loved and well used trucks.

Yep...bought my 2010 Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road new at end of 2009...used it till 2018 and sold to buy my Raptor...had 60K on it,and was by far the best resale value of ANY vehicle I've even owned...used it for 8 years,and sold for $6K less than I paid....I figure any vehicle you can get out of for less than $1K per year,is a winner....Now we will see if my Raptor will be the winner...doubt it $$ wise..gonna take a bigger hit than $1K per year....BUT...what price can you put on a big grin driving the Raptor...so much more fun...and like comparing a Big Fat Juicy Rib-Eye Steak to a TACO....my vote is for the Steak..!:33:

BTW....trade in value is all in the eye of the beholder...and we all know most dealers are crooks and of course out to make a buck....but its the BS they throw at you that sucks...I took my Taco to dealer just for fun to see about trade-in (my bad,was seriously looking at another Taco..lol).....but after 3 dealers and a lowball figure that made me run out of dealership laughing....all 3 quoted me between $8,000-$8500 LESS than what I finally sold it for privately ....now I dont mind them making a few $$ but $8,000!!!..but I do thank them...if they were not such jerks,I might be driving another Taco instead of the king of the road Raptor...;)

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at my Local Ford dealer to look at the new Explorer ST and was chatting with the sales people about the raptor values, they asked if I wanted a appraisal. So after they went out and looked at my Raptor and 10min later they gave me my appraisal. I tip my hat to the Gen 1 guys, their trucks will still be worth 45k 20 years from now. Lol
I get that this is trade in but still.

View attachment 128939
Thanks for sharing! I still owe more than that on my 2017 SCREW 802A.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the resale on the Gen 2s would be a lot higher but the market is flooded.

Resale is going to be lower when new trucks are still available for near invoice these days. Here's a very long thread for gen 1 that shows plenty of trucks were available near invoice for a long time for them too: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/raptor-dealers-selling-near-invoice.18117/

I think a huge factor in the lack of depreciation in the gen 1 market is the result of no new raptors being available for a couple of years and lower production numbers. Ford made ~75K Gen 1s the Gen 2 could easily be 120K+ if they make them through 2022. They also in that lower range for people that can't swing $55K+ for a used gen 2. If they don't make gen 2s for a couple of years before gen 3 it will be similar thing all over again.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Us GEN 1 guys are not as dumb as we look...LOL...and was already offered more than I paid for mine.....SORRY,NO SALE..!;)

Some of the Gen 1 guys make me laugh. Of course, Gen 2 prices will drop when dealers are selling near invoice. But its not like Gen 1 prices arent dropping also. The used Gen 1's will ALWAYS be less than the used Gen 2's

Baja Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second one. I sold the 2012 Gen1 when it was 2 years old with 21,000 for a tad more than what I paid for it new. I had around $6000 in words on it. It had over 7000 dirt miles.