Dealer Appraised My Raptor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NTR0P

Reaction score
You think the trade-in is low? The dealer's goal is to get your truck for as little as possible so they can flip it for max profit. It's a three year old vehicle mostly the same as a new one, but you have 30K miles. You were looking at an Explorer...maybe you are trying to get out of the Raptor for whatever reason they don't know so they tossed you a number.

It is low. Dealers like to sell Raptors and other Ford Performance models as "rare" and "hard to get" to justify MSRP or higher to the buyer. Then, when you come back and discuss trade-in, they tell you they vehicles are readily available run of the mill jalopies and you're lucky to get what they offer because they are just such nice people trying to help out humanity with their benevolence.

Let's not even stray too far into analyzing MSRP, Invoice, hold-back, spiffs and the like.

Dealers want it both ways, so buyers can, too.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny how you mention people abandoning an older model, around me I went from seeing five G1 Raptors a day to now where I almost never see them on the road. As soon as dealers dropped the ADM, most G1 owners in my area upgraded. The rush of trade-ins also explains why G1 Raptors have taken such a big hit on the resale market too.

Well, I see more Gen 1 trucks than Gen 2 trucks- what's that prove? Nothing.

Give it time. The Gen 2 trucks are all still under warranty unless it's miled-out. Once they are "sold as-is" the values will change quickly.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Give it time. The Gen 2 trucks are all still under warranty unless it's miled-out. Once they are "sold as-is" the values will change quickly.

Interesting thread... OK so I have a question. For a '19 purchased now at say $70K MSRP- where do ya'll think it will price out in two years (maybe that's when we see a Gen 3..). or three years. Presume 12K to 15K miles per year.

I was thinking $50K in two years and perhaps low $40's after 3 years. But maybe my guesstimates are too high after reading all these comments...

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Most people are smart enough to realize the 2017s have less than 6 months of bumper-to-bumper left and that is definitely already reflected in their current $58k prices. People who want a warranty buy new. People who don't need the comfort of a warranty save money buying used.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people are smart enough to realize the 2017s have less than 6 months of bumper-to-bumper left and that is definitely already reflected in their current $58k prices. People who want a warranty buy new. People who don't need the comfort of a warranty save money buying used.
Like me... I bought my 2010 screw 3 years ago for $30k with 30k miles. It’s now almost a 10 y/o truck with only 65k miles. Plan to keep her until she’s either on a museum floor or scrap yard.

Business up front... party in the back!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not the bumper to bumper that matters- it's the 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. Used buyers aren't worried about a heater core failing, they are worried about the 3.5L EB giving them the $4K phaser rattle at any given startup of the engine.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My loaded 2018, purchased for $63k in Oct of 2018, has 17,*** miles.

I have no doubt it is worth $48k trade in right now, maybe $50k if I sell it out right. I am fine with it.

Why would anyone spend $55k or more on a 2 year old truck, when for an extra $10k they can get a brand new one @ $5k off sticker.

just part of owning an automobile.

thankfully, i was able to put a large amount of money down, so I am never in danger of ever being upside down.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not the bumper to bumper that matters- it's the 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. Used buyers aren't worried about a heater core failing, they are worried about the 3.5L EB giving them the $4K phaser rattle at any given startup of the engine.

The Ford beancounters disagree with you. They view the powertrain as the most reliable portion of the vehicle and is why they are willing to warranty it for 5 years. Everything else they are only willing to cover for 3 years.

Ford sells a million EcoBoost engines a year and there is no cham phaser controversy other than the conspiracy theories you and your cohorts stir up. Sell that many of anything and there will be failures. No different than the Firestone tires, Toyota floor mats, or shark attacks in Florida. Unfortunate shit happens to a small percentage of people and other people love to blow these isolated occurrences out of proportion.

Cosmo

Reaction score
Yea, the Tacoma and 4Runner TRD Pros do really well. I am actually looking to get a Tacoma TRD Pro now that they finally added a 10 way power front seat lol—technology that is only 20 years old. If you pick up a TRD Pro below MSRP, then you will lose very little in a year or two of driving. But it should be noted, Toyota limits the production of the TRD Pro models. Something I wish Ford would had done with the Raptors.

I came from a TRD Pro Tacoma. I wouldn’t waste the money. The 10 way power seat probably has more power than the engine. It was not fun to drive any distance.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best holding value vehicles are 4runners and wranglers. Typically the more you pay the for the new car, the higher your initial loss will be.
I dont see how any Chrysler product retains any value at all, even for a week. They are absolute junk.