General consensus on 4HI Baja mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy…I want to ask a question of the general community. Is it a good idea to get all 4 tires in the air while in 4HI? I’ve had all 4 tires in the air on my gen 2 probably about 15-20 times. I have also broken a front differential during one of those jumps while in 4HI. During all of the jumps there was zero throttle involved. From my searching on the forum the Raptor assault class wants you in 2Hi for any sort of jumps, but why then does the truck automatically put you in 4Hi for Baja mode when they would know thats a possibility? I now have a gen 3 and really don’t want to go through a front diff swap mess again. Some parts of these tracks are really nice with 4HI activated, but not if it could cause an explosion of the front diff.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not just gas it’s brakes too. I posted in another thread on this topic.

We asked the instructors at assault and the answer was basically. It’s fine to jump in 4wd so long as no outside stress is on the driveline during landing. Throttle or brakes, basically the truck needs to equalize. At assault they don’t trust that folks area’t gonna f*ck it up one way or the other thus 2wd only.

The context of this discussion was debunking that they don’t allow 4wd to reduce takeoff speed. The answer on that was “yes it would increase takeoff speed but we would just move the start line forward to get to our target launch speed if we wanted to allow 4wd”

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Im very vigilant in situations where i feel I might get a little air…no brakes …and no gas. My concern is, if you land nose down. In 4HI both the front and rear drivetrains are linked 50/50. If you land front tires only first and there is any difference in tire speed vs ground speed there will be a sudden “sync” of all the drive train components. If all 4 tires land at the same time and ground and tire speed are equal this is the best case scenario.