Dead battery already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J0shM1lls

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time the headlights weren't left on at all, so they can't be blamed... It's definitely the livewire.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Ok! So, they pulled my truck back out with a brand new "Motorcraft Max" battery. The service writer said it had at LEAST one bad cell AND it was an old date battery... All in all I'm happy, got a new battery and they didn't hassle me about the intake or tune (I did revert it to stock first though).:waytogo:

Thought I would throw it out there the red/orange eye on motor craft means that cell is at 60% percent state of charge or above. They no longer use the green ball. Also it was only made to monitor the cell that had the highest failure rate. Since the eye was never very accurate most motor craft batteries on the self no longer have this eye.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thought I would throw it out there the red/orange eye on motor craft means that cell is at 60% percent state of charge or above. They no longer use the green ball. Also it was only made to monitor the cell that had the highest failure rate. Since the eye was never very accurate most motor craft batteries on the self no longer have this eye.

Thanks, never knew that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK---I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Die Hard AGM battery last month. The specs are brutal as is every review I could find. I have had 6 different Optima batteries and while they were great 20 years ago they have slipped a little because the competition has just gotten better.

The AGM is the way of the future esp with power cells that have to exist in hostile high vibration environments. In my job the 270 volt Raptor PDC batteries were part of one of the systems my team was responsible for. Having access to a actual Dr in this area has educated me tremendously. In short cells shorting are the biggest issue we face in extreme vibration—the AGM eliminates this. Also to keep and this may sound stupid but if you have a vehicle that is not a daily driver say once a week or less----put a float charger on it will keep the battery almost like new.

Quite a bit of what you read is hype to some degree or another--find hard testing data.

is this the one u got?

DieHard Platinum Battery : Buy High-Performance Battery at Sears

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
About 95% of batteries are made by the same manufacturer. Depending on what brand you choose to buy each has there own specs there battery needs to meet. There is a reason Walmart batteries are cheap. Same makers make motor raft, optima, interstate, die hard. Just some thought I believe they are all made by Johnson Controls.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk