Damn I am glad I got the Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I got my Raptor because of a really bad back problem. I am a Corvette fanatic and had a Z06 and a 71 vert. I also had this crazy little Mazdaspeed 3 that I used as a daily driver. I had owned trucks/jeeps in the past and wanted one anyway because of the risk of wildfires/quakes out here where the ability to throw stuff in the back and evac is a good thing...

The problem with my vettes and DD was that I just could no longer drive them comfortably. Although most folks cannot tell, I had already had 7 back operations, 2 fusions and 1 artificial disc. Metal all over the place - damn near bionic. Constant pain - 24/7, 365. I finally reached a point where I could not even drive the 71, the Z06 was tolerable only because of the seat heaters and my MS3 was just a non-starter. So I was forced to sell the old one, park the Z most of the time and I had to get rid of the MS3 quickly...

So I looked around for something with a better ride. I just could not stomach something boring. A friend at work suggested I look at the Raptor. I did, actually got a chance to test drive it, and have become an obsessed fan - despite my GM loyalties. The truck is just awesome. I laugh every time I start that thing up and hear that explosive magnapack....

Last week I had another round of surgery. Another fusion. More metal. Sucked. Although my neurosurgeon is awesome, I figured driving was going to suck. Man, what a surprise. Driving the Raptor is actually MORE comfortable than sitting in a normal chair or even walking around.

Anyway, I know this is a bit (way) off topic. But I figured a few folks might laugh at some guy buying an race-truck because of a bad back. :)

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Lucky, that's a lotta surgery, sorry you've had to go through all that. Great to hear that you can enjoy your Raptor despite all that. You're right, you're Lucky you were able to find something that has a comfortable ride on your back, but isn't a boring soulless Everyman run-of-the-mill vehicle.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Hey Lucky, you and I have something in common. I was pretty much forced to sell my 5 series because the seats were killing me. I injured my back about 7 years ago in a fall and have been in pain ever since.

Seat comfort is now at the top of the list on car shopping criteria. Agree with you on the Raptor seats.

OP
OP
Lucky14

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Lucky, that's a lotta surgery, sorry you've had to go through all that. Great to hear that you can enjoy your Raptor despite all that. You're right, you're Lucky you were able to find something that has a comfortable ride on your back, but isn't a boring soulless Everyman run-of-the-mill vehicle.

Thanks - Yea, not only a cool vehicle but a new hobby with cool folks to point me in the right direction! :)

OP
OP
Lucky14

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Lucky, you and I have something in common. I was pretty much forced to sell my 5 series because the seats were killing me. I injured my back about 7 years ago in a fall and have been in pain ever since.

Seat comfort is now at the top of the list on car shopping criteria. Agree with you on the Raptor seats.

My first operation followed a construction accident when I was in college back in 86. I went for 14 years without any issues. Then I had some neck issues (C5/6) and then L5/S1, L4/5 and L3/4 degenerated. Those guys are all gone now. I still have a screwed-up disc at L2/3 but will probably deal with it until it's unstable. The 24/7 pain thing is really annoying as hell... :)

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
My first operation followed a construction accident when I was in college back in 86. I went for 14 years without any issues. Then I had some neck issues (C5/6) and then L5/S1, L4/5 and L3/4 degenerated. Those guys are all gone now. I still have a screwed-up disc at L2/3 but will probably deal with it until it's unstable. The 24/7 pain thing is really annoying as hell... :)

Ouch dude - that's a world of hurt. I've avoided back surgery so far, but have had chronic problems there for well over 20 years.

I can attest to the seat comfort - I drove to the hospital 4 weeks ago and they threw me into emergency surgery (****** abscess infection, can't recommend anyone go through that). I was released the next morning in mortal pain when I had to sit (I tried to take the morphine drip with me but the nurse was stronger).
Walking with two canes, I got back to the truck, and once I got in the seat it was instant releif. More comfortable than chairs, a couch - even lying down. Several times the next week, I would just go outside and sit in the truck with the laptop and work.
So yeah - these seats are probably what inspires half of the people that take a test drive to pull the trigger!

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Lucky, that is a lot of surgery. My son has back problems also and he is always walking half ****** over. He did have surgery and he is little better now. He is contruction worker. Glad the Raptor can be used as theropy. If the doctor can write a prescription for it, your insurance will pay for it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ouch dude - that's a world of hurt. I've avoided back surgery so far, but have had chronic problems there for well over 20 years.

I can attest to the seat comfort - I drove to the hospital 4 weeks ago and they threw me into emergency surgery (****** abscess infection, can't recommend anyone go through that). I was released the next morning in mortal pain when I had to sit (I tried to take the morphine drip with me but the nurse was stronger).
Walking with two canes, I got back to the truck, and once I got in the seat it was instant releif. More comfortable than chairs, a couch - even lying down. Several times the next week, I would just go outside and sit in the truck with the laptop and work.
So yeah - these seats are probably what inspires half of the people that take a test drive to pull the trigger!

****** abscess infection :jawdrop: that sounds painful