GEN 2 CSP 21M06 - Unintended Tailgate Opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Got a call from the Ford service advisor last night with news that repair is approved! Goes in Monday for the final fix and then over to the body shop. Could be there for a week, but I don't care so long as it's fixed.

I got the letter in the mail from Ford last week, and was planning on following up in the New Year. This service advisor beat me to the punch.

I'll admit, while I was in the right, I was a bit of a jerk in my initial reaction to this service advisor. She has followed up several times and it has resulted in an approved repair. Kudos to her for putting up with me being obstinate.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Back in ’08, I had to put in the rented bmw into service in Curno, Italy. I speak spanish, but not italian and english was not spoken there. S/M was Matteo Amici. He worked with me by google translate, had to disable some electronics to make the bike ridable. then he helped us score a place to stay over the phone - NH Bergamo. Then he got a customer to guide us in.

I worked with a buddy in Bergamo to secure him and his crew gift cards, which wasn’t an easy task. Remember, they didn’t speak english, so I had to have my buddy call them, then relay to me. Was a big, big, big task to get this sorted and sent for Christmas that year. Probably set me back... 300 bucks?

without a doubt some of the best money I’ve ever spent. For them it was just another day at work, for us, we were not quite lost but on a wounded bike, with no place to stay. And yeah it was probably only... 2-3 hours? but they literally stopped everything to help us.

Ironically, I had the unexpected tailgate opening for the first time today :-/

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the truck back from the dealership after completing the recall. Only thing I noticed was if the truck is running and in park the tailgate will not open either by pressing the release button in the tailgate handle or pressing the release button in the remote. Yes hi had the fob in my pocket and I even went up and pressed the unlock button in the door and then tried it. No dice! I then shut off the engine and the tailgate opened normally both with the handle and the remote. Is this normal? I don’t really remember but before the recall didn’t the tailgate open if the engine was running? Thanks for replies!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got the truck back from the dealership after completing the recall. Only thing I noticed was if the truck is running and in park the tailgate will not open either by pressing the release button in the tailgate handle or pressing the release button in the remote. Yes hi had the fob in my pocket and I even went up and pressed the unlock button in the door and then tried it. No dice! I then shut off the engine and the tailgate opened normally both with the handle and the remote. Is this normal? I don’t really remember but before the recall didn’t the tailgate open if the engine was running? Thanks for replies!
Yes. That’s part of the software update.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you FordTechOne!!! Is this a reliable fix or do we have members that have had issues with inadvertent tailgate openings even after they completed the recall?

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the software update means we’ll no longer be able to open the tailgate at all if the truck is running? I realize that eliminates the problem, but it seems more of a bandage than an actual fix. I’d still like to be able to open the tailgate while the truck is running (especially if I’m standing at the tailgate pressing the button on the handle). I guess I just won’t be getting the software update.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn’t the “forever” fix too. But given the option of having to choose between shutting off the engine or having all your families’ ski gear spread out over the last hundred miles on the way to a vacation like almost happened to me it’s an easy choice. BTW there is a lot more than a software patch going on. It pays 4 hours and they had to run a wire up to a hole they drilled in the cab. It’s part of the kit and has a grommet etc…. Or so I was told, I haven’t crawled under to see it yet.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you FordTechOne!!! Is this a reliable fix or do we have members that have had issues with inadvertent tailgate openings even after they completed the recall?
Yes, as you mentioned in your subsequent post, the FSAs include multiple changes to address all possible causes that have been identified.