GEN 2 CSP 21M06 - Unintended Tailgate Opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now showing up in our Ford Pass apps - Customer Sat Program (CSP) Campaign# 21M06 - Unintended Tailgate Opening.

OK, great... Back in January of this year, I walked out to my garage and opened the garage door to get the Raptor out, and I hear a loud noise. I immediately stop the garage door, but the damage had already been done. The tailgate was resting against the garage door because it popped open by itself, and the hinges on the garage door scrapped the paint off the tailgate handle cover, and scratched the tailgate cap.

Is there a chance in hell Ford will pay to fix this now that they have admitted this is an issue? Anyone have a recommended course of action on resolving with Ford?

PXL_20220114_214736215 (1).jpg

Edit to add: Adding copy of the CSP that I got from the dealer when I picked my truck up three days later, in case anyone needs it.

Attachments

• CSP 21M06.PDF
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
did you already fix it? If so, you have an uphill climb.
If not, you can try talking to your service dept. and opening a Ford c/s claim.

I inadvertently popped my tailgate open right into a metal sign post once. I tried my hand at correcting the very minor scuff but was unsuccessful. Local body shop charged me all of $50 to fix it. Actually he charged me 40, I paid him 50. Mine was only paint scratching - your damage is greater than mine was.

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not fixed it yet.

Yes, been running around since Jan with a scratch on my truck... And yes, it has bugged the crap out of me!

On FB someone posted a response to my comment that the details of the Campaign mention damage will be fixed. I am trying to get confirmation of that now.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Nothing to lose by trying. My damage was my fault, but I’m wondering if this issue is just sporadic or if the part has worn faster over time...

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'll be stopping by my ford dealer as well.. same thing happened to mine and damage looks exactly the same. I thought I inadvertently hit the button

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing to lose by trying. My damage was my fault, but I’m wondering if this issue is just sporadic or if the part has worn faster over time...
It’s the result of water intrusion in the harness connectors that run along the bottom of the tailgate. The water can short a power circuit to the tailgate latch actuator circuit within the connector shell, causing it to release the latch. The FSA has the dealer split the harness into 2 separate connectors to eliminate the possibility of that occurring.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Hmm... interesting. Thanks for that info. I think we’re on track for a whole 20, maybe 22 days of rain this year ;-) I’ll probably be ok on the tailgate. May need to truck in some water, but at least I won’t likely have that embarrassing moment when the tailgate nails some super scratchy part of something. ;-)