GEN 2 CSP 21M06 - Unintended Tailgate Opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, while I might not particularly like the tailgate not opening while running ... like when I’m in a loading area, throwing in cargo, mine popped open while I was driving. Fortunately I didn’t lose cargo.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I saw if you push the tailgate handle button twice it'll open in park while running... haven't had mine completed yet but may not do it if this is the case

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. That’s part of the software update.
I havent had mine happen yet but its often garaged and I sprayed a bunch of corrosion x in my tailgate every year so wondering if its dialelectic properties are saving me when the truck is out in a lot of rain etc.... My tonnue cover also "holds" the tailgate a bit with friction, so when i release it i actually have to pull it just a bit to get the tailgate to fully come down, so it could be doing it and I have no idea. However, not being able to get into the tailgate while the truck is running is going to be rather annoying, I do that very often (dog is in truck and needs air while I'm loading, heat while I'm loading, on the trail, I forgot to get something out of the bed real quick, the list goes on and on and on... not sure this is gonna work for me)

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, truck was just delivered back to my house (yes, they delivered the truck!).

Before:

PXL_20220114_214736215 (2).jpg

After:

20230105_143356.jpg

They replaced the tailgate cap also.

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had 10" of snow this weekend that I was driving around in. On Monday I came out to garage and opened up the door, bad sounds. F&%k, it happened again! Evidently, there have been more recalls. The local dealership is performing the recall work, but their bodyshop they work with has a six month backlog. They asked me to call Ford Customer Service, and I had a great conversation with two reps there (I initially was connected with a rep on the Lightning team, she transferred me to the gas engine team). Shout out to Rachel and Ashley at Ford, they were super nice and very helpful. Ashley had no issues giving me a case number to go to another dealership to get the scratches repaired... again.

20231102_091307.png

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had mine happen yet but its often garaged and I sprayed a bunch of corrosion x in my tailgate every year so wondering if its dialelectic properties are saving me when the truck is out in a lot of rain etc.... My tonnue cover also "holds" the tailgate a bit with friction, so when i release it i actually have to pull it just a bit to get the tailgate to fully come down, so it could be doing it and I have no idea. However, not being able to get into the tailgate while the truck is running is going to be rather annoying, I do that very often (dog is in truck and needs air while I'm loading, heat while I'm loading, on the trail, I forgot to get something out of the bed real quick, the list goes on and on and on... not sure this is gonna work for me)
Looks like you have a tonnue cover as well, so not sure I can attribute it to that. I've again never had an issue in rain, snow, salty roads, etc. I suggest maybe the best fix is to spray the heck out of the inside of the tailgate and get those wiring harnesses good with some CorrosionX. Thats my best guess as to why I havent had the problem. The dielectric properties of CorrosionX has to have kept all the moisture out. Just resprayed last weekend doing my yearly prior to winter maintenance.