Crazy lug nut question and situation...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unraptor

Reaction score
Had the same “swollen” lug nut issue, lug wrench would not fit on swollen lugs. Go to Discount Tire and get replacements that aren’t capped, which causes the swelling issue. They carry splined and OEM solid lugs. The splined are about 1/3 the cost of the OEM style, but I went with the more expensive solid lugs. We have a lot of money invested in our trucks, and having good lug nuts that you can rely on is a minimal cost for safety & peace of mind. The stock Raptor lug wrench fits them perfectly. Good luck and enjoy your truck!

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So took the raptor in last week to get tpms sensors changed. They replaced 3 of 4. Fast forward had been hearing a crunching noise... thought might be a wheel bearing or u joint. Book it in to the shop. Driving on the interstate today steering wheel starts shaking violently. Pull over on the shoulder. Drivers front wheel is loose! One lug nut snapped off. Other 5 backed out ready to let go. I tighten them back up as best I can but tire iron stock doesn't seem to fit lugs very well. I limp back to tire shop. They are super sorry. Replace 4 of 5 lugs to be safe. Locker is good still .

Not that I am questioning their work but I am so I get home, pull out torque wrench and find that I can't fit a 21 mm on the lugs. Barely fits even if I beat it on with a rubber mallet. 22mm is too loose. Is there a special lug socket I need? Though these were 21mm but they clearly are not and also not 22.

the main lug is 19mm. ford put that chrome shell over it to be a 21mm. not sure why. while others got the spline lugs, i opted for oem sized solid lugs. i dont like how those have a smaller shoulder than the oem. its not like these rims and tires get stolen, so having a lug that fits the oem wrench "just in case," is better in my opinion, and never having to worry about losing the wheel key. (had that issue in the desert once with another truck)

Here's how I had to get mine off when the 21 wouldnt fit and the 22 started slipping on them. Impact socket and a 5lb sledge.

PXL_20210912_170626597.jpg

Much like mr car stereo, I preferred typical solid lugs. Didnt want to worry about needing a special socket when changing a tire in the middle of nowhere mexico

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the spline lugs in my 2013, gorilla open ended lugs on my 2015(XD rims had center caps) and 2019 raptor has Gorilla closed end. I like the fact the Gorilla lugs have large hats like the OEM and very happy. If you are ever stuck in a situation where you need to get the tire off, you know it will be dark and the side of the highway. I will spend the $88 for the piece of mind knowing I will be able to get my wrench and not have any issues getting them off. One of the first mods I do is remove the OEM lugs and re-torque.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the main lug is 19mm. ford put that chrome shell over it to be a 21mm. not sure why. while others got the spline lugs, i opted for oem sized solid lugs. i dont like how those have a smaller shoulder than the oem. its not like these rims and tires get stolen, so having a lug that fits the oem wrench "just in case," is better in my opinion, and never having to worry about losing the wheel key. (had that issue in the desert once with another truck)
It's not chrome- it's a stainless steel shell over a steel core. They do it so your lug nuts don't rust on the outside.

If they were chrome plated steel, eventually the chrome gets damaged and the steel underneath rusts and runs down onto your wheels. If the lug nut was all stainless- it'd gall the threads.

I also maintain they do NOT "swell" but are progressively damaged by people using the wrong sized sockets. I have used stock Ford lugs for decades and nearly a million miles of driving on a dozen vehicles in crap salt belt weather, with no "swelling" issues whatsoever. You have to use a tight fitting socket every single time.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why hasn’t anyone mentioned picking up a set of Kibbetech lug nuts?………….lol

They are pretty slick and I would pick up a set, but at $288 they are a little steep.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get them swapped out now before you need to figure out how to remedy a flat tire that can't be removed due to swollen lugnuts in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service. Ask me how I know!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have Discount Tire rotate mine. Then I come home and check that my lug wrench fits on all of the nuts. When there's a problem, I'll address it. Until then, I'm not wasting my money.