Crazy lug nut question and situation...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So took the raptor in last week to get tpms sensors changed. They replaced 3 of 4. Fast forward had been hearing a crunching noise... thought might be a wheel bearing or u joint. Book it in to the shop. Driving on the interstate today steering wheel starts shaking violently. Pull over on the shoulder. Drivers front wheel is loose! One lug nut snapped off. Other 5 backed out ready to let go. I tighten them back up as best I can but tire iron stock doesn't seem to fit lugs very well. I limp back to tire shop. They are super sorry. Replace 4 of 5 lugs to be safe. Locker is good still .

Not that I am questioning their work but I am so I get home, pull out torque wrench and find that I can't fit a 21 mm on the lugs. Barely fits even if I beat it on with a rubber mallet. 22mm is too loose. Is there a special lug socket I need? Though these were 21mm but they clearly are not and also not 22.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's f'k'd up. Is your wheel even okay? Those might be standard size, I'm not sure, I don't have those type. FYI, I keep stock lugs nuts, enough for one wheel in my console.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the main lug is 19mm. ford put that chrome shell over it to be a 21mm. not sure why. while others got the spline lugs, i opted for oem sized solid lugs. i dont like how those have a smaller shoulder than the oem. its not like these rims and tires get stolen, so having a lug that fits the oem wrench "just in case," is better in my opinion, and never having to worry about losing the wheel key. (had that issue in the desert once with another truck)