GEN 2 Coolant Temperature Spike at Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this problem, but didn't always have this problem. Though, I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem, it is just a change I've noticed.

I can do it manually at all temperatures. If I drive a cold truck, accelerate, then let off, the temps go up, even if it is from 100 to 110.

I'm guessing it is just normal behavior.

Reaction score
I took mine in this last week as I was seeing similar temps, still under factory warranty. Everything checked out fine. These are normal temps according to Ford for this truck.

Consider higher RPMs, when needed, to move the coolant through the system faster. This will reduce your temperature.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
I have this problem, but didn't always have this problem. Though, I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem, it is just a change I've noticed.

I can do it manually at all temperatures. If I drive a cold truck, accelerate, then let off, the temps go up, even if it is from 100 to 110.

I'm guessing it is just normal behavior.

Okay, whoa, the video in your bio (The Doug one) is the reason I bought a Raptor in the first place, so thank you. I now own my favorite vehicle ever of my 12 year driving career.

The thermostats on these trucks begin to open between 190 and 197 degrees, and only fully open at 218 degrees. If the temperature gauge isn’t turning yellow or red, it’s most likely operating within normal parameters.

As far as debris in the cooling system, these truck came with two different types of coolant depending on build date. 2017 and early build 2018 models used Orange coolant, which was good for up to 5 years and 60k-100k miles depending on vehicle use. When orange coolant is worn out, it can become corrosive. 2019 and later models use Yellow coolant, which is good for 10 years or 60k to 200k depending on operating conditions.

If the coolant gauge is turning yellow or red indicating an over temperature condition, the thermostat is the most likely cause, especially if engine work was performed that required thermostat removal/replacement. For some reason the thermostats seem to have a high failure rate after being exposed to open air.

I had the Orange Coolant since I'm a 2017 MY truck. Do you think the coolant became corrosive and started eating away at my cooling system (seals, etc) if so, should I be worried about anything else being corroded?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, whoa, the video in your bio (The Doug one) is the reason I bought a Raptor in the first place, so thank you. I now own my favorite vehicle ever of my 12 year driving career.

I had the Orange Coolant since I'm a 2017 MY truck. Do you think the coolant became corrosive and started eating away at my cooling system (seals, etc) if so, should I be worried about anything else being corroded?
It’s entirely possible, depending on how the truck has been used over 100k miles. If operation included extreme hot or cold temperatures, towing, extensive idling, off road use, etc, the coolant should have been changed at 60k miles per the “severe” schedule.

However, being only a 5-6 year old truck, it will probably be fine if you had the system flushed and refilled with Motorcraft Yellow, which replaced Orange.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
It’s entirely possible, depending on how the truck has been used over 100k miles. If operation included extreme hot or cold temperatures, towing, extensive idling, off road use, etc, the coolant should have been changed at 60k miles per the “severe” schedule.

However, being only a 5-6 year old truck, it will probably be fine if you had the system flushed and refilled with Motorcraft Yellow, which replaced Orange.

I have 45k on my '18 and was going to change out my coolant in the next couple of months as I replace the t-stat. So it's OK to use the Ford yellow coolant now? I thought I would need to find some orange coolant.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score

Truck is still sitting at 93K! I've put a good amount of love into her but I haven't crossed the 100K mark yet. I can actually check all my service records to see if it was flushed at 60K, I haven't missed a campaign service on it yet.

It appears it was not flushed then, I brought the truck in at 55,256 and then again 64,973, and it wasn't flushed at either period.

Would you call Florida heat "severe"? Lol, I would.

I believe it was replaced with Motorcraft Yellow, but I can make sure-- well actually, I can't. Surprisingly there is no part listed for coolant but the write-up does say "flush coolant". They listed Brake Cleaner (PM-4-A) but no coolant listed, which is kinda funny. I will inspect the vehicle tomorrow morning.

The write-up does says they did a tear down, would other damage be obvious to the tech? All the techs at Bozard seem extremely on their game.

piiremoved.jpg

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 45k on my '18 and was going to change out my coolant in the next couple of months as I replace the t-stat. So it's OK to use the Ford yellow coolant now? I thought I would need to find some orange coolant.
Yes, Motorcraft Yellow replaced Orange. The Orange is now discontinued. Although backward compatible, I'd recommend flushing as much of the original coolant out as you can, which is a good practice with any coolant change.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck is still sitting at 93K! I've put a good amount of love into her but I haven't crossed the 100K mark yet. I can actually check all my service records to see if it was flushed at 60K, I haven't missed a campaign service on it yet.

It appears it was not flushed then, I brought the truck in at 55,256 and then again 64,973, and it wasn't flushed at either period.

Would you call Florida heat "severe"? Lol, I would.

I believe it was replaced with Motorcraft Yellow, but I can make sure-- well actually, I can't. Surprisingly there is no part listed for coolant but the write-up does say "flush coolant". They listed Brake Cleaner (PM-4-A) but no coolant listed, which is kinda funny. I will inspect the vehicle tomorrow morning.

The write-up does says they did a tear down, would other damage be obvious to the tech? All the techs at Bozard seem extremely on their game.

View attachment 352155
For sure! Florida and the Southwest are certainly in the category of "severe" temperatures lol.

There isn't much of a "tear down" for a water pump and thermostat, that's an interesting tech story. Even more interesting that the cooling system was contaminated with debris that required flushing, but no new coolant was billed out on the RO? You may want to call the dealer to clarify what exactly was done there.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
For sure! Florida and the Southwest are certainly in the category of "severe" temperatures lol.

There isn't much of a "tear down" for a water pump and thermostat, that's an interesting tech story. Even more interesting that the cooling system was contaminated with debris that required flushing, but no new coolant was billed out on the RO? You may want to call the dealer to clarify what exactly was done there.

That's what was bothering me too. From aviation, I can say for certain that "debris" found in fluid, from a closed system, usually means something is corroding away, chipping off, or failing (i.e engine / transmission chips). If it was pieces of the gasket that was failing that were found I wouldn't be so worried, but if it was METAL debris, then I'd be worried. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

edit: just went and looked, it is Yellow Coolant with an Orange Tinge (Most likely the plastic is making it look that way, it seems Yellow when I hold a flashlight to the coolant)

Last edited: