GEN 2 Coolant Temperature Spike at Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
This is a PSA for anyone who has had this issue, as well as a Request for Information (probably from FordTechOne eventually) :

About 2 months ago I noticed that if I was doing highway speeds (70 - 80 MPH) and I let off the accelerator my coolant temp would start to spike. Depending on how long the engine would run the temperature would gradually get higher and higher. At first it was every 6-7 accelerator let offs, but recently it was every single time I'd take my foot off the accelerator. On a routine 5 hour drive it would start almost immediately. I'd let off the accelerator and coolant temp would rise to 228, an hour later it'd rise to 230, and by hour 5 it was rising all the way to 238. After about 30 seconds it would go right back down below 226 (which is where I believe the truck stops giving you numbers).

I took my truck to Bozard Ford in St Aug (Again, I highly recommend them for everything and anything) and they ran a pressure test. The results were "slightly low". They found leaks from the water pump and thermostat housing and upon tear down they found debris in the coolant system. They replaced the thermostat, water pump, and associated gaskets-- all under warranty.

Here are my questions:

1) Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what solved it for you? (If something else solved it, I'd be curious what it was to see if there's another problem)

2) Should I be worried about "debris in the coolant system"-- not a mechanic, but I am a pilot, and I know debris found in any liquid where it isn't supposed to be is not optimal.

3) As I cross my 100k mile mark here in the next few months, is there anything specific to this incident I should be asking about?

I've read the forum posts for other common "Coming up on 100K miles" stuff so I'm tracking most of that.

Post over, but I'm going to publicly commend Bozard Ford. Not only did they fix this problem, they heard my start up was "noisy" and used chassis ears to diagnose a bad idle pulley, belt tensioner, and an elongated belt. They then found a small leak in the oil pan that I didn't know about or report and replaced my oil pan. They performed the Cam Phaser PCM Reprogram TSB (My advisor asked if I was tuned, not to catch me but she didn't want to override my PCM calibration if I was, but I'm not, so they did it). They also performed a Brake Master Cylinder TSB I didn't know existed. All of this was done under warranty. I was able to drop it off the Friday the week I called (I have a service adviser I always work with and she snuck me in even though they're booked for months), they had an enterprise loaner (Dodge Ram 1500 Lariat which I was more than happy to get out of because it sucked) ready, and they completed it on Monday-- washed, detailed, and ready for pick up. They have my full faith and confidence so I'll sing their praises left and right.

Last edited:

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a similar occurrence on my '19 but it never goes above 225 to 230 and immediately goes back to the temp it was before I let off the throttle. Noticed it also when I was cruising 70 to 80 on the Interstate and let off immediately. Have checked coolant level and everything is good. Very curious what anyone else has experienced.

I'm at 40,000 and am using a Banks I-dash gauge to constantly read Coolant Temp. and several other readings.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a similar occurrence on my '19 but it never goes above 225 to 230 and immediately goes back to the temp it was before I let off the throttle. Noticed it also when I was cruising 70 to 80 on the Interstate and let off immediately. Have checked coolant level and everything is good. Very curious what anyone else has experienced.

I'm at 40,000 and am using a Banks I-dash gauge to constantly read Coolant Temp. and several other readings.
I noticed this the other night on a 2 hour drive on the highway. Kept fluctuating between 210 and 225 coolant temp. My speeds were 75-85. Figured it was normal?

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine usually runs 210 to 225 consistently on the highway. Have just noticed that at higher speeds, when I let off quickly, the temp will rise and then go right back down. Does this fairly consistently also, but only when running 70+ on the highway.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am guessing (since the turbos are water jacketed) you are drivng at 70-80 as you stated which from my experience is about 1-4 psi boost considering some light incline. This is what causes the coolant temps to rise as I assume the block on the engine would heat as any standard 3.5 NA engine. But that constant boost is what is making the heat. As you let off the gas, the rpm driven fuel pump slows down and thats where the temp elevation is happening. Also stock intercooler will heat fatigue i assume. Now if thats wrong i would assume a pressure leak in the coolant system.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
I noticed this the other night on a 2 hour drive on the highway. Kept fluctuating between 210 and 225 coolant temp. My speeds were 75-85. Figured it was normal?

Exact same behavior on mine, they claimed a water leak at the pump and then a leak at the thermostat.

I am guessing (since the turbos are water jacketed) you are drivng at 70-80 as you stated which from my experience is about 1-4 psi boost considering some light incline. This is what causes the coolant temps to rise as I assume the block on the engine would heat as any standard 3.5 NA engine. But that constant boost is what is making the heat. As you let off the gas, the rpm driven fuel pump slows down and thats where the temp elevation is happening. Also stock intercooler will heat fatigue i assume. Now if thats wrong i would assume a pressure leak in the coolant system.

It's actually next to no boost, and I was getting it on declines too. It was happening anytime I had let off the gas (regardless of OAT / incline / decline). I wonder how long before my radiator / intercooler start to go. The truck does have 93K miles on it.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exact same behavior on mine, they claimed a water leak at the pump and then a leak at the thermostat.

It's actually next to no boost, and I was getting it on declines too. It was happening anytime I had let off the gas (regardless of OAT / incline / decline). I wonder how long before my radiator / intercooler start to go. The truck does have 93K miles on it.
Honestly could just be air in the coolant lines. 93k is nothing for these trucks if maintained right.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 19 when i let off from hwy speed coolant drops 10 deg pretty much 15 to 20 seconds after letting off . Could it be the shutters for the guys that are seeing a increase?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thermostats on these trucks begin to open between 190 and 197 degrees, and only fully open at 218 degrees. If the temperature gauge isn’t turning yellow or red, it’s most likely operating within normal parameters.

As far as debris in the cooling system, these truck came with two different types of coolant depending on build date. 2017 and early build 2018 models used Orange coolant, which was good for up to 5 years and 60k-100k miles depending on vehicle use. When orange coolant is worn out, it can become corrosive. 2019 and later models use Yellow coolant, which is good for 10 years or 60k to 200k depending on operating conditions.

If the coolant gauge is turning yellow or red indicating an over temperature condition, the thermostat is the most likely cause, especially if engine work was performed that required thermostat removal/replacement. For some reason the thermostats seem to have a high failure rate after being exposed to open air.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a CVF intercooler sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I'll be going Stage 2 Goosetune. Should I install a 170 or 180° Thermostat at the same time?