GEN 2 Coolant Temperature Spike at Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some highway driving today, would cruise at different speeds and then let off the gas suddenly. Each time I did this, the temp would go up a few degrees and then come right back down to what it was before.
I've double checked everything and no coolant leaks from anywhere. Truck doesn't overheat or have any other issues.
Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread that it could be a drop in pressure when traveling at speed and letting off the throttle immediately and that does seem to make some sense.
Since I've never had digital gauges to monitor coolant temperature before, I'm not sure that this might not be a fairly common occurrence any number of other vehicles given the same circumstances.
Gonna continue to monitor and see what develops since I can't find any real discernable issues.

kredd

Reaction score
I have a CVF intercooler sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I'll be going Stage 2 Goosetune. Should I install a 170 or 180° Thermostat at the same time?

Thermostat Temperature Selection Guide:

Please see climate map (or otherwise specified by Tuner)
-170 Degree Thermostat is recommended for Red - Orange
-180 Degree Thermostat is recommended for Yellow – Blue

Xristian

Reaction score
I have the same issue. When I am driving (highway 75+ mPH) the temperature goes up to 236 and then it goes down again. I took it to the dealer and they said they didn’t find anything wrong with the cooling system. Should I be worried? Should I take it to another dealer? I have a 2017 Raptor (they changed the engine to a 2021 engine last year)

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
These questions and concern trips to the dealer are the exact reason true-reading temp gauges are practically nonexistent in vehicles since the early 1970s.

Mainly because thermostat temps and resulting engine temps were increased to 190+ degF to help reduce exhaust emissions and old-school people just couldn’t wrap their heads around temps that high, so the temp gauges were removed completely, replaced with “idiot lights”, or the analog gauges were set to read in the “normal”range for any temp between about 150degF to 250degF.

If you had/have an overheating problem, the gauge or light would be normal/off until 250, then pop over to high or light on.

So, as long as you don’t see 250degF or the gauge turns red, the temp is within the “normal” range.

Personally, my 2018 with stock thermostat mine has never indicated above 220 degF, even at 80mph in 100+ ambient. I’ve long since swapped to a 180 t-stat, adjusted the target temp, and the cooling fan temps & duty cycles. It runs much cooler at lower speeds/loads at 190-205degF, but at 80mph/100+ ambient it still runs up around 215degF. It’s at 72k miles now, tuned since new, ALL maintenance/service/tuning performed myself….

Just setting another reference point for the discussion.