Considering a New Raptor - few ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor has made my short list. I'm not new to trucks or 4 x 4's.

It's a toss up between a Grand Cherokee SRT8 or a Raptor. The Raptor
would be a Supercab, Terrain, loaded. The better half is pushing for
the Raptor - she loves trucks. Most of my driving is in town, I would
like to take some highway trips - summer and winter - and think the
Raptor would be a great choice for bad weather.

Anyone have any experience in long distance trips with theirs? How are
they on snowy roads?

I know most you are probably biased, and that's OK. I just want some
honest feedback. Any options you must have? Any that aren't worth it?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answere.

Brian.

Banned
Reaction score
well, im not a raptor owner, so take this however you wish.
but i have been a member here for a long ass time. and from the many many threads ive read, the raptor is the best long distance road trip vehicle many of these people have owned. and ive read that it does amazing in the snow as well.

id take a raptor over a crapler (chrysler) vehicle any day.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I have experience with long trips in mine and its like taking your lazy boy chair on a road trip honestly. Best road trip vehicle I've owned.

The raptor is a jack of all trades, it does pretty much everything well. With good tires like the Goodyear duratracs it'll do just fine in snow.

OP
OP
H

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experience with long trips in mine and its like taking your lazy boy chair on a road trip honestly. Best road trip vehicle I've owned.

The raptor is a jack of all trades, it does pretty much everything well. With good tires like the Goodyear duratracs it'll do just fine in snow.

Thank you, I just put new Duratacs on my Chev P.U. and they are great.
I use the MTR's on the wife's Wrangler. I am a fan of the Made in U.S.
Goodyears. The stock Raptor tires seem like a good blend between on
and off road capability.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
They aren't bad by any means. They just wear quickly and are soft so they'll chunk a bit with hard off roading. That's the only downsides to them really. I got about 32000 miles out of mine though

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I have a race red supercab and drove across the country between MI and FL 3 times this past year. The raptor has great road manners and is truly fun to drive. Since I live in Upper Michigan I also do quite a bit of snow driving and the truck handles it wonderfully. It's extremely stable.

This is my second raptor - I made the mistake of selling the first and won't do that again. I was a GM girl and owned a Pontiac Buick GMC dealership with my ex-hub so Ford and Raptors were not a "I gotta have it" for me. For years I drove GM trucks and Tahoe/Yukons. This truck by far surpasses them in both ride and handling.

I haven't driven an SRT8 to know they compare but highway travel and snowy roads in the raptor are a breeze and truly pleasurable.

Good luck with your decision!

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a signature away from a Jeep SRT8. That woulda set me back 80K. Go with the raptor. Obviously, i did.

OP
OP
H

Hawkeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New year!

Just waiting on pricing from my local dealer now. Going back to look at the
Rpators again on Wed.

KX250R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove mine from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta, with some serious side trips in and around Alamos in the Sonora Mts....awesome road trip rig..had my GF, a buddy and his dog along, everyone was happy! It was a blast. You will love it!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor has made my short list. I'm not new to trucks or 4 x 4's.

It's a toss up between a Grand Cherokee SRT8 or a Raptor. The Raptor
would be a Supercab, Terrain, loaded. The better half is pushing for
the Raptor - she loves trucks. Most of my driving is in town, I would
like to take some highway trips - summer and winter - and think the
Raptor would be a great choice for bad weather.

Anyone have any experience in long distance trips with theirs? How are
they on snowy roads?

I know most you are probably biased, and that's OK. I just want some
honest feedback. Any options you must have? Any that aren't worth it?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answere.

Brian.

These questions can be best responded to once your needs and uses are understood.

From my point of view, the vehicles you're looking at are two very different animals. Sure they both have 4WD and the Grand Cherokee is a very competent offroader but you're interested in the SRT8 which, as I understand it, is not their most offroad capable vehicle.

So, you seem to be interested in an on-road vehicle that has 4WD for snowy roads. Both will be very good but one is a large and wide pickup truck and one is a much smaller SUV. Huge differences there.

We love our Raptors and they ride like no other pickup truck or large SUV. But the GC is a very capable vehicle and the SRT8 is a powerful, fast on-road mid-size SUV. And the MSRP starts at $60k and goes up from there.

Good luck with your decision. You'll be very happy with it if you understand your needs and wants and how you'll use it and then objectively consider which vehicle will best meet them for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc