Considering a new '19 tomorrow

Should I pull the trigger on another Raptor or change it up with Super Duty?

• Raptor

Votes: 37 84.1%
  • F-250 Super Duty

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWeston

Reaction score
I went from a 2016 F-250 to a Raptor myself, the desiel was great for pulling and towing but I ended up not towing as much as original planned on. Not using a desiel motor the way the are intended with all the EPA mandated crap that's on them, will cost you more down the road using as a daily driver. The DPF filter goes into regen more often since you're not putting enough heat load into it and that waste more fuel. EGR is better in the newer models, but they still dump crap into the motor which causes premature failure. If you decide to pull all that emission crap off to prolong the life on the engine, not to gain power, then you void your warranty. So I decided to dump the F-250 and I'm glad I did.

Ryan D

Reaction score
I recently traded my 2017 F250 which was deleted and tuned for a 2019 Raptor. Same here did not utilize the diesel enough. The Raptor is more fun/comfortable and will be less maintenance. Also lot easier parking in tight spots.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you swing to the SD side make a custom order. You might not like the Adaptive Cruise if you want to lift the truck.

Dollar for dollar the two trucks when optioned right are pretty close. A Raptor at invoice would be a great buy, while you would still pay a tad more for the SD at invoice.

StanJ58007

Reaction score
Had a F250 super duty Platinum edition. Had it loaded with the same 6.2 as my 2012 Raptor. Was so disappointed in the truck, I traded it in on a Raptor after one year and 2,500 miles. There is no substitute for a Raptor if you are not into heavy hauling. And - by-the-by, my new Raptor does a fine job with hauling my tractor and boat.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from a 2016 F-250 to a Raptor myself, the desiel was great for pulling and towing but I ended up not towing as much as original planned on. Not using a desiel motor the way the are intended with all the EPA mandated crap that's on them, will cost you more down the road using as a daily driver. The DPF filter goes into regen more often since you're not putting enough heat load into it and that waste more fuel. EGR is better in the newer models, but they still dump crap into the motor which causes premature failure. If you decide to pull all that emission crap off to prolong the life on the engine, not to gain power, then you void your warranty. So I decided to dump the F-250 and I'm glad I did.

All that emmissions headache you’re referring to I’ll bet was Fords motivation for the 7.3 gasoline engine. This is one area where hybrid power would make a lot of sense IMO. Get immediate and full low end torque to get your load rolling and the relative simplicity and maintenance of a gasoline engine keep your load moving without having to be concerned with range anexiety.

drdjin

Reaction score
Haha, funny you are asking about getting a Raptor on a Raptor Forum.. I like to think we are all extremely biased to vote for anything other than a Raptor. Personally my vote is on a Raptor along with the rest of the folks. Last Summer, my 2017 had to go into the dealer for some service, I was given a brand new 2018 F150 with a 5.0L V8. What a disappointment, that V8 felt like a TRUCK. I was so happy when I jumped back into my Raptor.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get one of these. Put together over in your neck of the woods. East slope that is.

IMG_0518_zpsduysla5a.jpg

JK. I am fortunate to have an 18 F-350 Platty and an 18 Raptor. Both excellent trucks. Different animals all together.

Sam

Last edited:

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 13 Raptor to a SD, then back to an 18 Raptor. Enjoyed the Platinum SD for a couple of years, then decided to switch it back up. Next truck will probably be another SD.

Love both, but can only afford one!

OP
OP
cayenne

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, funny you are asking about getting a Raptor on a Raptor Forum.. I like to think we are all extremely biased to vote for anything other than a Raptor. Personally my vote is on a Raptor along with the rest of the folks. Last Summer, my 2017 had to go into the dealer for some service, I was given a brand new 2018 F150 with a 5.0L V8. What a disappointment, that V8 felt like a TRUCK. I was so happy when I jumped back into my Raptor.

@drdjin I knew what everyone would say, but if you look at the response, especially from the guys that own or have owned SD's the feedback is valuable. Regardless of how biased Raptor owners are, most of us have owned many trucks and know the pros and cons of going different routes...

Regardless, I decided to get the Raptor. I sent my offer this morning and told them we had today to close the deal before I'm back on a plane tomorrow for work. Hope to update this evening with a new Raptor in the garage.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents, pretty much the same as other.

I've had a 99 7.3, '04 6.0, 2011 6.7 and a 2015 6.7. I towed a lot, heavy toyhaulers with buggies and a boat. I got a new job only 2.4 miles from my house and sold the toys. I started having problems with the DPF and regen cycle since I wasn't getting the truck hot to and from work and not towing any more. I sold the '15 6.7 Powerstroke before the warranty expired and got the Raptor used with 5k miles for 30k under original sell price. MUCH more comfortable and no issues as a daily driver. My back feels better already . . If you're not towing more than 5k, get the Raptor.