Cold Engine hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2018 Raptor super crew with about 30 k miles. Not every time, but often I have similar concerns at what this thread is describing. When cold start, even after allowing vehicle to warm up a bit, when accelerating at various speeds (e.g. cruising, med throttle, hard throttle), truck will definitely fall flat on its face between 3-4 shift. It seems as if computer system pulls back on engine power... no actual transmission problem as far as I can tell. There is no flare or increase in RMP as if slipping; rather, engine seems to cut out, which causes truck to act as if pedal was released and subsequently pull back/slow down. Had the truck in dealer about a month ago for sunroof stuck issues and mentioned the upshift issue. Per the service writer, they scanned PCM/TCM with no codes, and were supposedly not able to duplicate the issue. Ambient temperature or actual truck temp does not seem to affect the issue as far as I have experienced. Also have a 2019 ford expedition with 3.5 engine and 10 speed, and I have felt a similar issue from 3-4 once or twice, which leads me to believe it might be some type of adaptive strategy?... definitely computer controlled issue in my opinion. Hopefully more information regarding this issue will eventually turn out. Not a big deal to me personally, but sucks that you pay so much and take such great care of vehicle to have things like this make you doubt vehicle dependability, etc.

There is no need to doubt “dependability”. As I’ve mentioned in previously, the slight hesitation on the 3-4 shift when cold is a normal characteristic of the 10R operating strategy. They all do it, including mine. There is nothing to be concerned about.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I start and immediately drive off cold the truck runs funky for the first block or 2, always has and suppose it always will. I'm the same way when I wake up so I can respect that.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2018 Raptor super crew with about 30 k miles. Not every time, but often I have similar concerns at what this thread is describing. When cold start, even after allowing vehicle to warm up a bit, when accelerating at various speeds (e.g. cruising, med throttle, hard throttle), truck will definitely fall flat on its face between 3-4 shift. It seems as if computer system pulls back on engine power... no actual transmission problem as far as I can tell. There is no flare or increase in RMP as if slipping; rather, engine seems to cut out, which causes truck to act as if pedal was released and subsequently pull back/slow down. Had the truck in dealer about a month ago for sunroof stuck issues and mentioned the upshift issue. Per the service writer, they scanned PCM/TCM with no codes, and were supposedly not able to duplicate the issue. Ambient temperature or actual truck temp does not seem to affect the issue as far as I have experienced. Also have a 2019 ford expedition with 3.5 engine and 10 speed, and I have felt a similar issue from 3-4 once or twice, which leads me to believe it might be some type of adaptive strategy?... definitely computer controlled issue in my opinion. Hopefully more information regarding this issue will eventually turn out. Not a big deal to me personally, but sucks that you pay so much and take such great care of vehicle to have things like this make you doubt vehicle dependability, etc.
Give this a try and let me know if it eliminates the problem, it seems to eliminate my ‘19 from doing it- before you take off and drive forward try shifting it into reverse and drive backwards 3 or 4 feet and then go ahead and put it in drive and proceed driving like you normally would.....
If i do that with mine it will not have that pause when it makes the first 3-5 or 3-4 shift when cold. I don’t know why but it seems to eliminate the first cold shift issue on mine....

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
At least @FordTechOne has been on here pointing out this is normal, expected behavior and actually a design feature - it probably prolongs the life of the powertrain significantly.

If I start and immediately drive off cold the truck runs funky for the first block or 2, always has and suppose it always will. I'm the same way when I wake up so I can respect that.

I’m sayin’.

It’s not just the Raptor, every vehicle I’ve had, has exhibited some form of this behavior.
The truck is fine.