Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Cold Engine hesitation

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Swifteee, Dec 1, 2019.

1. wilsonos2

wilsonos2 Member

My 2019 has the same 3-4 issue. It feels like the brakes come on or you just left completely off the gas and the rpm's will climb couple hundred rpm's before shift is complete. Took it in to Ford and had them reset shift tables. Haven't had the issue since, only been a week and this doesn't happen every time so not saying this fixed the issue. It only happened to me if I was lite on the throttle and when it did happen it was the 3-4 shift. Also, my drive way is 1900' long and I drive out slowly till hitting the main road so temps should be getting up some compared to someone just getting on the road with no warmup. This isn't normal no matter what people say, why not between 2-3 or 4-5. Maybe a mapping issue or trans issue but I wanted it document that I'm having this problem.

2. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

The first cycle or two through the gears is not the smoothest, it seems like it hesitates through the gears pretty good, not sure it is actively braking or anything like that. I have not had the issue of RPM's rising a couple hundred in this situation, that I know of. You may have a different real issue.

3. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

This concern (Hesitation/delayed shift on first drive cycle) has nothing to do with transmission temperature; the transmission has both a warmer and a cooler.

This is a result of the strategy that the transmission uses during the first drive from a cold soak. The TCM strategy dictates that the transmission reach operating temperature as quickly as possible as well as run all self-test diagnostics while minimizing cold start engine emissions.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission; they all do the same thing.

richnot and Donmatteo like this.
  4. 500mag

500mag Full Access Member

My early '18 did it, and my late '18 does it - it's just what they do...and mine has a Whipple CAE, so it is getting plenty of air.

5. Cherry Ghost

Cherry Ghost Member

Thanks for the info FordTech!

Donmatteo, BC119 and FordTechOne like this.
  6. RAG13

RAG13 Full Access Member

My 19 does it. I have 13,000 miles and I even have a Cobb ECU and TCM Stage 1 tune. Obviously, even the tune doesn't help. Its annoying but doesn't happen all the time. I just deal with it.

7. richnot

richnot Full Access Member

Do you have the same issue if you switch it to sport mode? When I first brought my 18 home it felt like it had a B&M shift kit in it and it did have a hesitation just like it lost power for a second or two. I brought the truck to the dealer and they did a TSB? for trans hard shift and after that it did not hesitate or snap your head back every time it shifted. I have a GearHeads tune along with their trans tune and I love it. It seems like it is shifting perfectly depending on your driving style, smooth when your not on the go pedal and a firmer shift when your on it

8. Gary Wren

Gary Wren Member

My 19' does it also, also when its cold, when I come to a stop light ( I hit the first one within 3-4 min of leaving in the morning, it feels like its on a high idle and feels like its shifting at a stop, it has shifted or something so hard at a stop the first time it did it, I thought some one rear-ended me, but no one was behind me. Does it once in a while while cold, remote starting seems to make no difference or being 95+ deg outside.