Cold Engine hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swifteee

Reaction score
I’m experiencing the exact hesitation fordloco described in a previous post. Only when engine is cold and within the first block or two of driving. I’m not in the gas much at all when it happens, but when it does happen passengers think I’ve hit the brake! It’s like my engine brake on my 4 stroke dirt bike... my truck is an 18 and has 25k on it. Enough to make me nervous pulling onto road out of parking lot.

It only does it once and then acts normal until I’ve been parked for multiple hrs.

is this normal? Does it whether running 93 or 89 octane... i experienced this less often when it was newer but now happens multiple times per week. Took to dealership a few months ago and they changed the plugs. Didn’t fix it... not sure they were able to duplicate the problem since it doesn’t do it every time. Truck has to be parked at least 2-3 hrs to experience this. So cold engine... weather has no bearing since does it in summer and winter... have changed oil 4-5 times. Use fully synthetic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m thinking this is not normal since my brother has a gen 2 raptor also and hasn’t experienced this...

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of mine have done the same thing, not as bad on the 17 but my 2 ,18s and my 19 do it . Pulling out of work cold drive 1 block and give it a little gas to go thru and intersection and it falls on its face between 2-3 shift ,like you hit the brakes

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m experiencing the exact hesitation fordloco described in a previous post. Only when engine is cold and within the first block or two of driving. I’m not in the gas much at all when it happens, but when it does happen passengers think I’ve hit the brake! It’s like my engine brake on my 4 stroke dirt bike... my truck is an 18 and has 25k on it. Enough to make me nervous pulling onto road out of parking lot.

It only does it once and then acts normal until I’ve been parked for multiple hrs.

is this normal? Does it whether running 93 or 89 octane... i experienced this less often when it was newer but now happens multiple times per week. Took to dealership a few months ago and they changed the plugs. Didn’t fix it... not sure they were able to duplicate the problem since it doesn’t do it every time. Truck has to be parked at least 2-3 hrs to experience this. So cold engine... weather has no bearing since does it in summer and winter... have changed oil 4-5 times. Use fully synthetic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m thinking this is not normal since my brother has a gen 2 raptor also and hasn’t experienced this...
Do you guys have the same color? Maybe just swap trucks without him knowing. Problem solved :33:. Could try a tune to fix that.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 ran horribly when it was cold regardless of the outside temperature. My 2019 is also a little off when it is cold, but not as bad as my 2017. I am use to cars/trucks revving a little higher until they are warmed up and holding a gear a little longer, but something about the programming on this transmission seems off when the truck is cold. The truck acts like it is not getting fuel or air and just seems very lethargic.

Terp

Reaction score
Mine has done this too, no clue what it might be since it does it once then it is over it. 19 with 11k miles. Doesn't do it every start though. Definitely don't think the dealership will be able to diagnose it without it being a headache though.

Terp

Reaction score
Mine has done this too, no clue what it might be since it does it once then it is over it. 19 with 11k miles. Doesn't do it every start though. Definitely don't think the dealership will be able to diagnose it without it being a headache though.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all try remote start and let it idle a minute or two before driving off? Wonder if that would help?!

I occasionally have a very small amount of idle surge and fluctuation at the first stop light or two when it’s very hot out and I’m at idle at the light. Almost like the programming hasn’t yet accounted for the AC compressor or something. Otherwise I haven’t experienced what y’all have about falling on its face when first driving.