Coil Pack upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trick76cj5

Reaction score
Just a heads up, i just replaced 6 coils on my truck:
2 initially from Napa
4 from Rockauto

The napa units were OK, but not really that great.

The 4 Denso units I bought off Rock Auto were OEM Ford parts (with the ford information Dremeled off). Truck ran much smoother with these 4 . . . and the price is decent at like $75 each (compared to 95 ea for Motorcraft). I recommend going with the Denso's off RockAuto. The factory coils just work well, not much to improve upon.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a heads up, i just replaced 6 coils on my truck:
2 initially from Napa
4 from Rockauto

The napa units were OK, but not really that great.

The 4 Denso units I bought off Rock Auto were OEM Ford parts (with the ford information Dremeled off). Truck ran much smoother with these 4 . . . and the price is decent at like $75 each (compared to 95 ea for Motorcraft). I recommend going with the Denso's off RockAuto. The factory coils just work well, not much to improve upon.
WHY didn't you do the other 2????? Why only 6????? LOL

Last edited:

trick76cj5

Reaction score
WHY didn't you do the other 2????? Why only 6??? LOL
Long story, but i got time.

Bought this truck from a dealer, it had a number of issues that needed fixed so i got a good deal on it. The previous owner is/was actually a member on here, so it was cool to see all the back story.

Anyway, dealer must have done the plugs, didnt' tighten them down, so i blew a plug out of the head and it took a coil. I replaced 2 coils and helicoilded the head . . .but i didn't trust the repair.

Found a 60k mile junkyard motor locally, so figured while stuffing that in, i would put on headers. Pulled the pan to check out the motor and it had Mahle forged rods and JE pistons (11.1:1), so now i had to do a really good job because this thing could actually make some power. Full gasket/seal kit, new trans t-stat gasket and fill, service all axles, and stuff a '19 t-case in it . . . it escalated quickly.

Coils seemed to all be working fine, except the 2 i replaced. Did new boots and resistors and found that 4 were totally rotten inside . . .so, seeing as i was already way more $ into this project than I told the wife i would be, I just replaced the 4 that were trash.

In teh near future, i will be getting 4 more . .. but now i'm buying a fuel pressure gauge since i don't think my fuel pump can keep up.

It always take some time to get a "new to me" vehicle up to *****. :-D