GEN 1 Clunk at slow speeds each tire rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian86992

Reaction score
I have started noticing a audible clunk noise I can also just barely feel in the floor boards while the truck idles and rolls about 3 mph. This is distinct from both the driveshaft yoke slip and shock clunk that's often described.

I feel a 'thunk'... 'thunk'... 'thunk'... with each rotation of the wheels on completely flat ground without accelerating or decelerating. Noise is persistent either straight or turning. Barely able to be heard and felt but definitely distinct. Could this be a sign of a failing wheel bearing or cv?

Truck is a '12 with 104k.

Thanks in advance!

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be as simple as a wheel weight, I heard a swooshing (that's the technical term lol) noise on mine a few months ago and it drove me crazy, pulled the right front wheel and found someone had duct taped over a wheel weight, the tape was coming loose and contacting the brake caliper. Can you isolate the noise to front or rear and right/left/both?

OP
OP
brian86992

brian86992

Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't pinned down the source of the noise quite yet. I'd like to walk beside the truck as I have someone drive it.

The thing that leads be to believe it's something larger and load bearing is that I can actually feel a slight thunk thunk thunk if I press my feet tight against the floor boards. There has to be a fair amount of transfer of energy going on.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good plan. You could try it in 2hi & 4hi and rule out CV's; they shouldn't spin unless the IWE is engaged (4wd), well unless you have an IWE eliminator.

OP
OP
brian86992

brian86992

Reaction score
I can only hear it at low speed but that's not to say it's going away while speeding up. (Exhaust and wind noise.)

Tires are too old and worn and about to be replaced but short at this walking pace I'm not sure how even an out-of-round tire could cause this noise/feel. Certainly want to track down if it is a knuckle or hub before getting new rubber on there and prematurely wearing it.

OP
OP
brian86992

brian86992

Reaction score
Small update. Truck went in for new tires, alignment and a steering rack yesterday. Techs said the wheels spun without anything unusual and hub are okay. Cluck still persists so it's back on the rack again. Right now I'm thinking it's a driveline u joint.

OP
OP
brian86992

brian86992

Reaction score
Shop reports after doing a runout on the axle, the right rear is bent.

Now looking at cost of replacement axle and labor. Normally I'd do it myself but I'm just too short on time in life right now.