What is that sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Since purchasing my 2014 Raptor SCREW almost a month ago, I've been chasing various sounds and rattles trying to resolve them. I took off the driver side door panel to fix the rattling lock mechanism, that was pretty quick and easy. I've also adjusted my shocks (King 3.0's) to try and minimize their various chirps and squeaks. I know..."race parts = race noise", but the rear shocks would chirp on every small crack/bump in the road - thankfully it was just a matter of stiffening up some of the settings which had previously been put to full soft. The rebound in particular was causing the noise from the rear, which was very irritating.

However, there's one noise I can't seem to trouble shoot, so hoping you folks can assist. I've noticed a noise coming from the front end when accelerating (never when decelerating). It's tough to describe, almost a hum or buzz that occurs very briefly if you happen to use just the right amount of gas. If for example I'm starting from a stop light and accelerate with light pedal application it typically won't occur. However, if I'm using moderate gas pedal application I'll hear this hum/buzz for a couple of seconds and then it disappears again as the revs continue to rise. I've noticed that I can hear it when accelerating, then the revs climb above the buzz and the truck shifts gears and when the rpms drop briefly as it goes to the next gear I'll hear the buzz quickly again before the revs continue to climb. I thought it was happening in one particular range within the revs (as I posted in the intro forum), but I've watched my tach this past week and it's not actually connected to any specific point of the range - more so the amount of gas being applied - i.e. amount of load being applied to the engine. I can also feel a slight vibration in the gas pedal when this noise occurs.

I've greased the slip yoke and replaced my u-joints - the truck as 144,000km's (~ 90k miles) so I replaced the joints just in case that's what was starting to cause a slight vibration...but no change. I don't notice any changes to the noise when using 4W, same noise and vibration in the pedal for that 1-2 seconds - so I'm not suspecting IWE issues.

The truck has a Borla s-type exhaust and AFE CAI installed, so I'm wondering if maybe it's just a combination of frequencies between the exhaust/intake and the engine that's causing the noise? Has anyone with either of these two aftermarket parts noticed anything similar?

This morning, while driving to work, I tried putting the truck in manual shifting mode and I didn't notice the sound. I'm thinking the truck is likely programmed to shift earlier than needed, for fuel economy, and it creates a momentary bogging of the engine. Bogging would create more vibration from the engine, which combined with the exhaust and CAI might be combining to make this "perfect storm" for a brief moment?

Any other suggestions?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat shield rattle at low-ish rpm's? I had that on my '98 that drove me nuts till I found it

That system will ressonate at a different tone than stock

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
Thanks, I checked the heat shield as well, specifically the one that goes over the cross pipe part of the exhaust, where the clamp can sometimes rust out...happened on my 2015 F150 as well. The clamp one this one appears to be in good shape and I couldn't get it to buzz or rattle when hitting it with a rubber mallet.

OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
I found the source of the sound! I was watching a few gen 1 raptor videos on youtube and came across a guy installing his corsa exhaust. He was filming some "before shots" with the OEM exhaust and during one of the clips, as he's pulling away from an intersection and talking with his buddy, I can hear the same noise that I'm experiencing. Since he hadn't yet installed his corsa exhaust it likely wasn't the resonance of the exhaust causing the issue. The only other clue in the video is when his buddy asks how many horses the stock raptor has and he quotes the figures and then adds 15hp for a CAI.

I did some more searching around on AFE CAI's to see if anyone has had similar issues. It sounds like a few CAI's have been known to cause intermittent buzzing noises at certain rpms, creating a drone. Based on my research, AFE in particular has been known to provide an airbox cover that's a bit too short on the frame side of the box. I went a checked mine, and sure enough there's about a 1/4" gap between the cover and base on the fame side. I removed the lid and have been driving around for the past couple of days to see if that helps. Sure enough, the noise is 99% gone! I can still hear a slight vibration, but it's much quieter than before - I assume what's left is just a factor of the stock airbox resonator being removed etc.

So, turns out the lid effectively acting like a reed at certain rpms causing a vibration that could be heard/felt briefly in the cab when the rpm's were just right.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow what a find!. I was leaning towards a possible tuning in the shift points as you originally suggested. My truck has a whipple and originally was tuned to shift hard and would make truck hop even. I Just had it returned and it shifts soo much better but now makes a sound as it shifts, it's sorta like a fast woosh! or shooof! sound and it's much more precise and smooth. I don't mind the sound and kinda like it, but the point I was trying to make is this is why I was thinking it might of been something with your shift points.
I have a K&N CAI but only sound I hear from that is an air suction sound when getting on it. Air is being sucked in so fast I can definitely see how a lid that's a bit short would act like a reed and cause vibrations. At least it wasn't causing a loud whistle lol

OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
I've actually ordered a stock airbox to replace the cai completely. I think the metal intake tube of the afe is vibrating as well. Going to a K&N drop in filter with the stock resonator.

OP
OP
M

mcbagpiper

Reaction score
Received and installed the stock airbox with a K&N filter, it resolved the sound issue completely! Can't believe how much better it sounds now, none of the drone and no more hum/vibration. I can still hear the exhaust, just don't have the cab resonating loudness. AFE + Borla = no bueno...at least for my truck!