GEN 1 Driveshaft slip yoke clunk fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. This problem has been driving me crazy and I appreciate your solution as well as part numbers.

Where did you get the can o'grease? Did you have to buy it from Ford? My search is just turning up little 3oz bottles of it.

Also, where did you order the new slip yoke. That seems like a good idea while you are there.

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. This problem has been driving me crazy and I appreciate your solution as well as part numbers.

Where did you get the can o'grease? Did you have to buy it from Ford? My search is just turning up little 3oz bottles of it.

Also, where did you order the new slip yoke. That seems like a good idea while you are there.

So just did a bit of research and the grease part # D2AZ19590A has been superseded by xg8a found below (i'll update op)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNVK5SM/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Slip yoke i originally bought from tasca on their ebay store but got a notification from them that it was backordered a week. So i called a couple dealers near by and found one for a few bucks more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ogdobber, there isn't a seal on the output shaft coming from the transfer case other than the outside one that the driveshaft slips into.
There are seal to stop transmission fluid from entering the TC!!!

Think about it, how would the seal work if the slip yoke needs to move back and forth on the out put shaft.
Trust me the grease will work it's way into the TC oil.

But please do your own research, or ask a Ford tech, if you don't believe me

People have pulled out the driveshafts and found water/rust in the yoke and have ask why on this forum.
Because they swamp their trucks and water got into TC.

Slip Yokes can be purchased here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/driveshaft-upgrading-34467/
This is a thread I started 3 years ago for us Supercharged Raptors.
Give them a call, they own a Raptor!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ogdobber, there isn't a seal on the output shaft coming from the transfer case!

Think about it, how would the seal work if the slip yoke needs to move back and forth on the out put shaft.

Trust me the grease will work it's way into the TC oil.

But please do your own research, or ask a Ford tech, if you don't believe me

People have pulled out the driveshafts and found water/rust in the yoke and have ask why on this forum.

Because they swamp their trucks and water got into TC.

Slip Yokes can be purchased here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/driveshaft-upgrading-34467/

This is a thread I started 3 years ago for us Supercharged Raptors.

Give them a call.

Output shaft has a seal. That's what keeps the fluid in and everything else out. The yoke has a "boot" because it has to move, and yes water can get past the boot and hot melted grease can get out as well.
7cbb9afab8244098617f248427edc5c1.jpg

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's looks like a picture of a Transmission not our transfer case!

Ok wrong pic. But there is an inner seal on the output shaft as well

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes there is a seal for that rear bearing , everything is vented so no need for a high pressure seal.

Listen I like your idea, I'm just pointing out that if you pump enough grease in that zerk you're going to pack up the small bell housing forcing the grease into the TC fluid.
I don't want people going "Jiffy Lube" where they pump grease into booted joint till it they see grease coming out. LMAO
That is why Ford only sells the small tubes, it would take a whole lot to fill up that small bell housing on the rear of the TC.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im curious if this works too. Keep us posted

The only reason Ford doesn't put a zerk in from factory is the epa no longer allows it. (Think thousands of trucks with faulty zerks flinging grease)

While I dont know 100% for sure, I dont buy this. Over the road heavy trucks have grease zerks on the U joints and the slip joints. And a typical semi is driven almpost every day of the week, and can log over a million miles in their normal lifespans. The grease flung out of them is mainly from the U joints and usually from pumping enough grease in them during each PM to push past the grease seals in the caps. I think the real reason why they dont use zerks anymore is cost, pure and simple. Save a $1 on a million vehicles and you've saved a million dollars. Plus U joints are better than they used to be and most vehicles dont need them as part of their normal usage. We just dont see many U joint failures these days unless its from hard usage.

Back on topic, I will check this out if mine develops "the clunk". It hasnt so far.

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK @MTF I must apologize to you, and I need to change my op based on what i have just found. btw I still haven't found an exploded view of the transfer case... im not even sure what it is 4417? 4419?

Anyways, i'm not 100% sure but I don't think our transfer case has an inner seal from what i researched so far (if its a 4419). And if that is the case, you definitely don't want to use any grease than what ford recommends because it WILL make its way into the transfer case.
how do I know this? royal purple is purple (i used that because my xg8a hadn't shown up)

I still believe the yoke needs to be lubed (with xg8a only) but sparingly.. couple pumps of the grease gun every oil change.

so a transfer case flush, a yoke clean up, and a xg8a grease and we are back on track.

side notes
1-if there is no inner seal (im going to get to the bottom of this) then transfer case oil changes should be done much more regularly than what ford recommends. (super easy btw)
2-the yoke is a part that must be replaced every so often (60-100k). greasing will extend it's life but not forever
3- If you have a clunk, replace yoke, use xg8a