GEN 1 Driveshaft slip yoke clunk fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's all good!!! That's what forums are for.

As far as oils go from Ford I only like their Trans fluid, it's Race and Drag Strip proven.

After completely destroying every bearing in my rear end pumpkin I switched to Mobil 1
I haven't had to top off yet (I have the AFE pumpkin cover) the sight glass is a wonderful thing.
So when it's time to change the TC oil, I will look at something other than Fords.
It was so burnt at 20,000 miles I was surprised.

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's all good!!! That's what forums are for.

As far as oils go from Ford I only like their Trans fluid, it's Race and Drag Strip proven.

After completely destroying every bearing in my rear end pumpkin I switched to Mobil 1

I haven't had to top off yet (I have the AFE pumpkin cover) the sight glass is a wonderful thing.

So when it's time to change the TC oil, I will look at something other than Fords.

It was so burnt at 20,000 miles I was surprised.

What do you grease your yoke with? Or do you even?
Also does anyone know what transfer case we have. I think it's a 4419 but could be a 4417 or something else. The diff between the 17 and 19 is one has awd and the other 4L. Both built by borg warner and no exploded views that i can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Part # is 7A195 for the TC

Using a PC with IE and using Bing as the search engine, I type in: "Exploded view of a 7A195 Transfer Case", plenty of images to go through.

Also:
Go to Ford parts: Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

Login and register if you haven't yet, enter your Vin# You can look up all your parts with diagrams.
They have exploded views of the transfer case.
You'll need a PC and download Ford's viewer plugin to see the diagrams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score

No no no. That is possibly what "dirtied" your tc oil. I say that because i used royal purple and when i drained my tc this afternoon, the oil instead of red was purple!
That's why i also think there is no inner seal (which is unacceptable on an off-road truck)... Jeeps have inner seal transfer cases btw
So that's why my new stance is ONLY xg8a. Im guessing, by design, it mixes well with XL-12 fluid [emoji848]

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My friend, I use a small paint brush to coat the inside of the yoke, the way your suppose to! I may have use a tea spoon of grease, maybe a table spoon at most.

Plus I change the TC fluid before I started to use grease on the driveshaft yoke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My friend, I use a small paint brush to coat the yoke the way your suppose to. I may have use a tea spoon of grease, maybe!!!!

Plus I change the TC fluid before I started to use grease on the driveshaft yoke.

Ok fair enough

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget I do a lot of 135 mhp driving sometimes 140 if I get gutsy. When I get the room to do so, it's getting tough to do that lately.

Last edited: