HELP - Rear End Clunk/Pop (no not that one)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue. Installed icons on the rear about a year ago and get a clunking only in the wet. Only when turning into bumps on the road. Fortunately I live in a mostly dry area and have a short memory. So I forget about it until I drive in the rain or mud. Then it annoys the hell out of me. Taking her out to Moab in few days, hoping for dry conditions. Anybody find out anything definitive on this??
I sent a ton of videos to ICON and after a LONG TIME I finally heard back. Their reply stated that I should simply ensure that the leafs are straight and even in the pack.

They are....and this is an unacceptable reply in my book. To be honest I hardly drive the truck these days other than to do dump runs or beach tows so I guess its "not that big of an issue" for me anymore. That being said, I don't plan on buying an other Icon products....

- Travis

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just read all of this. take this comment as pure speculation. My ( new to me) 2014 Has stock springs. I recently had to do new bolts and fix the axel housing perch. While waiting for new bolts to come in (dealer) I tightened the the old bolts while waiting. I had the same issues pop. pop.pop in and out of the drive way. Now I know.... I don't have Icon/devers but the perch was so badly arched and the holes were so wollard out.
Now that I fixed the housing perch. It is now flat no more tire hop It just plants and goes.

If it were me I would be looking at the Housing perch closely. These trucks make a lot of power and have a wide large tire. Now.... The torque speck that was listed here I don't know about 250 on that size bolt.

Viccern

Reaction score
Just read all of this. take this comment as pure speculation. My ( new to me) 2014 Has stock springs. I recently had to do new bolts and fix the axel housing perch. While waiting for new bolts to come in (dealer) I tightened the the old bolts while waiting. I had the same issues pop. pop.pop in and out of the drive way. Now I know.... I don't have Icon/devers but the perch was so badly arched and the holes were so wollard out.
Now that I fixed the housing perch. It is now flat no more tire hop It just plants and goes.

If it were me I would be looking at the Housing perch closely. These trucks make a lot of power and have a wide large tire. Now.... The torque speck that was listed here I don't know about 250 on that size bolt.
Forgive me for asking, but can you explain or point me to where I can educate myself on fixing the axle housing perch? I hear a pop, pop, pop from my rear end now that I've put Deavers and Traction Bars on, and I've tried everything to fix it, including checking torque on all the bolts and having it in and out of the shop 3 times already (they told me they can't find anything loose or wrong). Based on these posts, it sounds plausible when I got the Deavers put on that my housing perch might be out of spec, but I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with that that means/relates-to/how to fix?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Viccern
The perch is what the spring sets on. It has a holes in the center and should be Flat. and the holes should be round not egg shaped. Not sure where I posted how I fixed mine. but here you go.IMG_2571.jpegIMG_2572.jpegIMG_2574.jpegIMG_2575.jpegIMG_2576.jpeg

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha, Gumby posted a few minutes before I finished my post.

I believe member @Gumby is talking about the factory horn bump stop bracket.
When upgrading to Deavers or Icons that horn gets eliminated and the springs set on the axle plate.
Having said that, they do make wedge plates to increase or decrease the angle of the rearend to help prevent binding of the driveshaft for people who raise their trucks with lift kits.
I haven't heard of anyone using them with recommended springs packs.

There is one area you might want to look at. The front spring mount bracket.
Over time with lots of wheel hop, you can egg out the hole in the bracket.
I have heard a few times that hardened washers had been welded on and the egged out hole fixed with some weld and then drilled and new longer bolts installed.

Last edited:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF not sure what you mean. I am not talking the horn. my horns were Flat. The axel plate (as you call it)
That was not flat It should be flat. Because they weren't flat. the axel would rap so bad the driveshaft would rub on the pinion coupler. you can see in this pic where it was happening.IMG_2570.jpeg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF not sure what you mean. I am not talking the horn. my horns were Flat. The axel plate (as you call it)
That was not flat It should be flat. Because they weren't flat. the axel would rap so bad the driveshaft would rub on the pinion coupler. you can see in this pic where it was happening.View attachment 425596

Yes, yes, I saw your post after I posted my response.
I will say, axle hop will damage areas you would never think of.

Last edited:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is one area you might want to look at. The front spring mount bracket.
Over time with lots of wheel hop, you can egg out the hole in the bracket.
This is also great info. I don't have any issue now but I can see how wheel hop could affect this also. I will be doing new rear springs at some point soon. Wheel hop combined supercharger played havoc on perches on our truck. The previous owner traded it in on a new TRX because no-one could figure out what was happening. LOL but got me new shocks, and A custom built driveshaft. Yay for me. well the wife. LOL I get to work on it and Drive it.. to put fuel in it. As I type this she just said "My truck needs fuel in it".

Viccern

Reaction score

So update here:

I ended up going the long route to chase this down. I had the traction bars taken off the truck and drove around for a few weeks and the same clunk/popping noise was there. Had the shop check all grease and torque and everything was as it should have been. So my next step was to chat with Deaver about the issue. Much to my surprise, there appears to be a reputable company left in the world who stands behind their product. Jeff over at Deaver was willing to send me (free of charge) replacement springs after watching/listening to the video of my issue. I only expected one, but he actually sent a set. I also ordered new SVC Shackles and had them ready as well. I brought the springs and shackles to my shop, instructed them I wanted everything taken apart/off completely, and to start from scratch like it was a fresh install with the replacement Deavers, SDHQ Bump Pads, SVC Schackles and SVC Traction bars. I double confirmed they'd use the correct grease, torque specs and anti-sieze on the traction bars and make whatever adjustments were necessary including those required when you drop the truck and finish the installation.

I've had it back for a week, but I don't daily it. Having said that, the noise seems to be gone and all seems to be well. Where I could repeat the popping sound pretty much on-demand at the top of my driveway, it seems like it's gone. My fingers are crossed this holds true after a few more miles have been put on this and the springs and everything has some time to "settle out". I'm pretty grateful to Deaver for sending another set of springs... I'm just out a fair amount of money for all the trips to the shop...

:party36: