GEN 1 Driveshaft slip yoke clunk fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 38,000 miles on her now, only took 7 years. I drive her every day, average 16 to 20 miles a day. LOL

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No the rear seal for the driveshaft would stop that, just like a regular non 4x4 with an automatic tranny.

The transfer case is vent and there is only a quart and a half of TC fluid about two inches high in the TC just enough so the chain gets lube when running along the bottom.
The TC fluid will then get sprayed and pumped around as the chain moves. Yes there is a pump in the TC it's kind of the same setup as the oil pump for the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would have to think that IF the grease can get into the transfer case fluid, the transfer case fluid can leak out....?

If you were in a VERY steep hill and angled to the right maybe... It's a shit design
But as mtf said, only a quart and a half and down low with the chain flinging the fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Ok. I haven't been on here in a long time but thought I'd share this but ooof info. I have a 2012 SVT Raptor that has been suffering with the same creak/clunk/jerk on acceleration from a stop. Now i see alot of you have been having the same issue as discussed in this thread. I took my truck in yesterday to have the slip yoke greased as this was the suggested fix. Now bare in mind my baby has done 176k miles and still going strong. Interestingly enough, upon further inspection of the truck for general maintenance, they found the middle transmission case mount to be worn out or in his words DEAD lol. He also found that the slip yoke was still greased from nearly 2 years ago. He said its likely the middle transmission mount was causing the noise and binding problem. Anyways the long and the short of it is, he added a bit of grease to the yoke for good measure and replaced the transmission mount and voila!! All fixed. Now, some of you may have just the issue of the grease drying out in the yoke but my mechanic and i highly suggest you check the middle transmission case mount that sits on the crossbeam. That could definitely be causing a lot of the problem. I hope this helps some of you and id love to hear your feedback :)

D

Deleted member 12951

Ok. I haven't been on here in a long time but thought I'd share this but ooof info. I have a 2012 SVT Raptor that has been suffering with the same creak/clunk/jerk on acceleration from a stop. Now i see alot of you have been having the same issue as discussed in this thread. I took my truck in yesterday to have the slip yoke greased as this was the suggested fix. Now bare in mind my baby has done 176k miles and still going strong. Interestingly enough, upon further inspection of the truck for general maintenance, they found the middle transmission case mount to be worn out or in his words DEAD lol. He also found that the slip yoke was still greased from nearly 2 years ago. He said its likely the middle transmission mount was causing the noise and binding problem. Anyways the long and the short of it is, he added a bit of grease to the yoke for good measure and replaced the transmission mount and voila!! All fixed. Now, some of you may have just the issue of the grease drying out in the yoke but my mechanic and i highly suggest you check the middle transmission case mount that sits on the crossbeam. That could definitely be causing a lot of the problem. I hope this helps some of you and id love to hear your feedback :)

I’ve had the transmission mount replaced (see pic, it was ripped in half), didn’t make a difference in this regard.

692a06961d9681b8c82a3173b85b2e58.jpg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is great information, thank you. I'm going to check mine once I get the truck back (from some unrelated stuff).

Disturbing part for me, though I've had this issue on and off - it's now gone away after happening for a while (and I didn't grease it this time). As much as I wish vehicles would fix themselves... who knows. I'm about to upgrade to an aluminum driveshaft anyway, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be giving this mount a solid eyeballing while I'm under there.

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is great information, thank you. I'm going to check mine once I get the truck back (from some unrelated stuff).

Disturbing part for me, though I've had this issue on and off - it's now gone away after happening for a while (and I didn't grease it this time). As much as I wish vehicles would fix themselves... who knows. I'm about to upgrade to an aluminum driveshaft anyway, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be giving this mount a solid eyeballing while I'm under there.

If it clunks and/or squeaks grease won't fix... Well maybe for a couple days. Get a new one with tight splines and grease that regularly to keep it in shape[emoji106][emoji2534]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you not have an aluminum drive shaft already? Stock is aluminum.

R,
HAP